Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Economical foundation fabric

Blog Entries
    I don't know how many of you use fabric other than "quilting cotton", but I often do. I use good condition thrift store garments, new dressmaker blend fabrics and anything that is a color or pattern that I love. Something that came to me this morning when I started sewing was the fabric I was using for the foundation. I acquired several new bed skirts. They had never been used and were great colors and patterns, I cut the skirts off, washed and ironed them and was getting ready to throw the center part away when it occurred to me that it would be good for the scrappy crazy quilts I like to make. It does great. There are always many of these at the thrift store. Maybe you can use this idea too.

Blog Entries
    Thanks good tip!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Great idea. The way the economy is right now we need to be more like our foremothers in quilting and you have already done so. The only exception for me is I only like to use cotton fabric. Thanks for the tip :D

What a great tip. Thanks for sharing.

I have a feeling as time goes on that many of us who are currently "fabric snobs" :) are going to have to bite
    the bullet and put our money where are mouths are. Quilting is our hobby and some may be willing to put out the extra for the fabric we enjoy sewing with. Many though are going to have to downgrade the fabric used to continue enjoying the hobby we love. I do realize that our grandmothers before us was using anything on hand for quilts that were necessities and not a hobby but did that make their quilts any less beautiful??? Why is it we all love to see the heirloom quilts and feel honored to have them? I guarantee there was no Moda, Hoffman etc fabrics being used. LOL I too like using a good cotton fabric that has a good "hand". I have recently just learned to quilt and I started out as a spoiled fabric snob. BUT...I am new and don't have a big stash yet. I love quilting enough already to say if I was given a choice between quilting or not quilting.....I'll go with the cheaper fabric to continue my growth as a quilter. Just my two cents worth.....and then some. LOL

Polly, great tip! I can usually findold white sheets at the thrift store, too, for not much money.
    Lori, I agree with you! Look at all the beautiful Depression era quilts........still here and they used whatever they could!

Power Poster
    I wish people would say "less expensive" instead of "cheaper"

One can still find nice/decent/good fabrics at comparatively "reasonable" prices if one knows what one is looking for and where to look.

"cheaper", to me, implies inferior quality.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori L
    I have a feeling as time goes on that many of us who are currently "fabric snobs" :) are going to have to bite
    the bullet and put our money where are mouths are. Quilting is our hobby and some may be willing to put out the extra for the fabric we enjoy sewing with. Many though are going to have to downgrade the fabric used to continue enjoying the hobby we love. I do realize that our grandmothers before us was using anything on hand for quilts that were necessities and not a hobby but did that make their quilts any less beautiful??? Why is it we all love to see the heirloom quilts and feel honored to have them? I guarantee there was no Moda, Hoffman etc fabrics being used. LOL I too like using a good cotton fabric that has a good "hand". I have recently just learned to quilt and I started out as a spoiled fabric snob. BUT...I am new and don't have a big stash yet. I love quilting enough already to say if I was given a choice between quilting or not quilting.....I'll go with the cheaper fabric to continue my growth as a quilter. Just my two cents worth.....and then some. LOL
    Well said, Lori !! And I am one of those, I admit it. And I'm a huge fan of antique quilts ! :D I can't imagine life w/o Moda lol :mrgreen: But other than fabric I'm not a snob hehe

What a great tip! A crazy quilt is on my to do list!! Thanks!

I have been using the center part of bedskirts along with leftover batting or fleece to make "quilt sandwiches" to practice free motion quilting.

I will have to remember your idea, too! Thanks for sharing.

I agree with Lori L and Sueisallaboutquilts. I also love the antique quilts, but that was then, and now is now. What would I do without Moda, Batiks, bright and beautiful colors? :|

I just have to comment on the use of the word cheaper. Since your posting was about higher price or lower price fabric, the use of cheaper was very appropriate. But, maybe this makes me a fabric snob, but buying cheaper fabric does not only mean less expensive, but in many cases it is less inferior.

I don't much like wordsmitting other peoples comments. :)

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray

One can still find nice/decent/good fabrics at comparatively "reasonable" prices if one knows what one is looking for and where to look.

I'm sorry..... I was trying to say "less money" by using the word cheaper. You're right......there are better words to use which don't sound sooo.......cheap?????

Polly, I just loved your idea!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Boy, I wish you posted this earlier. I took apart my old eyelet lace bedskirt and THREW the top part away! :shock:

Power Poster

I'm sorry..... I was trying to say "less money" by using the word cheaper. You're right......there are better words to use which don't sound sooo.......cheap?????
    No criticism intended to any of the posts -

It's just when I was growing up, if anything/anyone was referred to as "cheap" - it was not meant as a compliment - old conditioning/associations are hard for me to outgrow.

So - if I've offended anyone, please accept my apologies.

I save the term "sleazy" for the truly inferior ones!

"Cheap" can go either way! LOL!

No criticism intended to any of the posts -

It's just when I was growing up, if anything/anyone was referred to as "cheap" - it was not meant as a compliment - old conditioning/associations are hard for me to outgrow.

So - if I've offended anyone, please accept my apologies.
    Absolutely no offense taken!!!! I can understand why you feel that way. This is what I like about this board (for the majority of the time) we can voice our differing opinions, and agree to disagree without hard feelings, or feeling offended. :)

Blog Entries
    Great idea, thanks for sharing :D:D:D

Bear is gray, I am very FRUGAL! Always have been. My dad always used to tease me....What do the birds say when they fly over your house????????? Cheep, cheep, lol! He hates that I dumpster dive, collect cans, pick, whatever, but I am in no debt, so he is proud of that!
    Cheap got my bills paid off, and I only owe on my house now. Sometimes being cheap isnt bad, of course I do try to GIVE as well!

Blog Entries
    My DD brought over two sheet sets she didn't want and said maybe I could find some use for them. In the past I would have taken them to the Salvation Army but not now. They make great backing for pot holders, place mats, table toppers, pincushions, and any other quilting project. I don't use sheets for quilt backing, yet. I have dozens of quilt backs in my stash. Cheap and Free, referring to cost, are two of my favorite words.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    Bear is gray, I am very FRUGAL! Always have been. My dad always used to tease me....What do the birds say when they fly over your house????????? Cheep, cheep, lol! He hates that I dumpster dive, collect cans, pick, whatever, but I am in no debt, so he is proud of that!
    Cheap got my bills paid off, and I only owe on my house now. Sometimes being cheap isnt bad, of course I do try to GIVE as well!
    In the world I grew up in, almost everyone was "frugal" - because we had to be.

Reuse, recycle, don't waste food, pay cash for, or do without were the mantras I heard growing up.

My Mom made hundreds of lap quilts for nursing homes, and she usually used old sheets for the liners. Also for "summer quilts"

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Price of cotton fabric is going up. I think it's a great idea to recycle rather than go out and pay the outrageous prices. We can speak with our wallets. Besides, isn't the origin of patwork recycle of the good parts of worn clothing/ The gals on the prairie didn't have the luxury of the LQS. They were limited to the bolt choices at the general store and what their budget allowed.

Most of my backing fabric is actually from the discount rack at the LQS.

You are so right....I have!!! :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I was just reading the comments, (don't you just love going back to see what everyone is saying) and a question popped into my head. I stopped at a garage sale an hour or so ago on my way to see a friend and picked up a Ralph Lauren large mans shirt. It is 100% cotton and is an absolutely beautiful navy blue plaid (the cost was $1.00). Just down the rack a short distance I found another Ralph Lauren ladies XXL shirt, it is also $100% cotton. They both feel wonderful, almost silky. My question is how is this 100% cotton fabric different from the 100% quilting cotton? I will be watching for replies.

Blog Entries
    I was just reading the comments, (don't you just love going back to see what everyone is saying) and a question popped into my head. I stopped at a garage sale an hour or so ago on my way to see a friend and picked up a Ralph Lauren large mans shirt. It is 100% cotton and is an absolutely beautiful navy blue plaid (the cost was $1.00). Just down the rack a short distance I found another Ralph Lauren ladies XXL shirt, it is also $100% cotton. They both feel wonderful, almost silky. My question is how is this 100% cotton fabric different from the 100% quilting cotton? I will be watching for replies.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast