Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Eleanor Burns old show (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/eleanor-burns-old-show-t52531.html)

mannem 07-03-2010 03:34 AM

It never ceases to amaze me all the info I get from reading other quilters' posts. Thanks for the RFD tip. I'll try and watch Eleanor Burn's show next Thurs. at 10:30 pm Dish TV channel 231 here.

newjeepgreen 07-03-2010 03:45 AM

I watch Eleanor Burns on my computer. She has many videos on there and has just added another recently. She is so informative and I have learned so much from watching her.

Longarm 07-03-2010 03:51 AM

Direct TV carries Eleanor's show every Wed. afternoon and again sometime after midnight on the RFD channel. Dish carries it also but since I have Direct I don't know the Dish schedule.

The ones that I've watched lately are older ones.

Longarm

cminor 07-03-2010 04:12 AM

I just watched that same episode :)

mrspete 07-03-2010 09:34 PM

I caught it four times, and each time it was PBS and the same show. I quit trying. But you guys have me wanting to hunt it up again. And I might!

mannem 07-04-2010 01:10 AM

there used to be a time when there were 2 Simply Quilts shows a day on HGTV, now all you get is a version of 'before and after' in some fashion

vickig626 07-04-2010 05:01 AM

I saw that show too and thought it was different. She quilted the individual quilt blocks on the batting but no backing. Not sure I would ever do this method. Seemed like a lot more work than the techniques I've learned.

patricej 07-04-2010 05:19 AM

the benefit to doing it that way is that you end up with a less "chunky" feel to the finished quilt. the blocks/sections of the top are sewn only to each other, as in the traditional method. the back is all one piece (or pieced) as in the traditional method. it's only the sections of batting inside that end up different. once you trim and join them, the result feels and acts the same as one big piece of batting.

i've done several quilts this way. having the batting "in the way" does make piecing the top a bit more labor intensive but, overall, it's a great time saver.

i still put something underneath the batting, though, so i don't end up with big blobs of lint in my bobbin area. i've used super light-weight muslin; fabric i don't like any more; cut up clothes that are too worn out to donate; old t-shirts; whatever comes to hand. i've also used pages from oversized junk mail flyers and brochures. the paper is so thin it tears away easily when i'm ready for the final stages of assembly.

GGquilts 07-04-2010 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
try www.zeeltv.com - scroll to the middle and you can choose your show!

Thanks for link, great one.

Miss Mona 07-04-2010 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by fabric-holic

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
try www.zeeltv.com - scroll to the middle and you can choose your show!

Oh Oh I just checked it out and spent 1/2 hour there watching a show and I see several more that I'll watch later.
Half of me thanks you...but the other "busy" half of me doesn't! :thumbup:

I so agree, just checked out the site and it looks as if will be spending lots of time watching the various videos and making notes as I watch. Kaye Wood is another site where I watch and make notes. Someday I hope to be able to use my notes.