Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Elmer's for basting...NOT! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/elmers-basting-not-t180790.html)

resource fabricologist 02-29-2012 07:18 PM

I use Elmer's washable school glue only! It works wonderful for basting along with heat pressing. I use it for binding esp. around curves, it works wonderful for mitered corners and I love to use it for putting in zippers!

carol45 02-29-2012 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by resource fabricologist (Post 5020534)
I use Elmer's washable school glue only! It works wonderful for basting along with heat pressing. I use it for binding esp. around curves, it works wonderful for mitered corners and I love to use it for putting in zippers!

I have used it for binding, but not for basting. Could you tell me how you use it for basting? Do you just put a spot every few inches? And do you do it on the back, then put the batting down and then do it on the batting and place the top on that, and then press?

Prism99 02-29-2012 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by carol45 (Post 5020593)
I have used it for binding, but not for basting. Could you tell me how you use it for basting? Do you just put a spot every few inches? And do you do it on the back, then put the batting down and then do it on the batting and place the top on that, and then press?

The quote is about using Elmer's washable school glue for bindings, etc. Elmer's washable school glue is never used for basting quilt sandwiches. Some people are talking about using Elmer's ***spray adhesive***, a completely different product, for spray basting quilts. The original poster does not recommend the latter because the spray adhesive is permanent; it does not wash out the way the washable school glue does.

%Elizabeth% 03-01-2012 07:12 AM

Elmers school glue is starch based and is washable. Works Great.

%Elizabeth% 03-01-2012 07:18 AM

Elmer's school glue works great

Elmer's School Glue is starch based and washes out well. I've used it and it keeps the binding in place so you can make perfect corners.

Prism99 03-01-2012 10:03 AM

((((((((((sigh.........))))))))))

TanyaL 03-01-2012 10:12 AM

You can't say that Elmer's washable School Glue is never used to baste quilts with when several have said that they do in fact use it for that purpose. Thank goodness, many have been stopped from using Elmer's spray adhesive.

Prism99 03-01-2012 10:22 AM

Can you please direct me to the posters who say they use Elmer's washable school glue to baste their quilt sandwiches together? I would really like to learn more about this technique.

TanyaL 03-01-2012 11:18 AM

Go to the 1st page. I counted 6 who used it for basting.

Delilah 03-01-2012 12:00 PM

Can we make a distinction between "basting" and "binding"? Basting is putting the entire quilt and it's layers together. Some people use pins, some use thread, some use the gun that shoots plastic anchors, and some use spray adhesives made specifically for basting the layers. Using the school glue to tack down binding or applique is something entirely different. I was trying to warn people NOT to use Elmer's Spray Adhesive because it is permanent, will not wash out, and will most assuredly ruin your quilt. Many of you seem to be confusing basting an entire quilt with using the school glue or glue sticks to baste an entire quilt. I cannot imagine attempting to baste an entire quilt with school glue OR glue sticks, particularly since there are some fine sprays out there made just for that. Recently I have turned to Dritz with very good results and you can buy it with your 40% coupons at Joanns. Please ladies, let's get on the same page!!