Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Elmer's Glue (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/elmers-glue-t250378.html)

Prism99 07-19-2014 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by CurliQ (Post 6807698)
Is there a time period in which the glue won't wash out or harm the fabric? I'm looking at a QAYG quilt.

It's basically starch, so doesn't harm the fabric if left in for a long time. You just don't want to live in a humid climate where bugs are attracted to starch for food! Living in Alaska, I don't think this would be a problem for you. :cool:

Stitchnripper 07-19-2014 08:32 AM

sandwich with Elmers
Elmer's washable?
Glue basting question
Misto spary bottle and Elmers Glue
If this works- I'm hooked (or glued)Glue basting for weaklings

Here are some recent threads from using the search function

Neesie 07-19-2014 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by CurliQ (Post 6807698)
Is there a time period in which the glue won't wash out or harm the fabric? I'm looking at a QAYG quilt.

I've (Elmer's School) glue basted the sandwich, then left it for several months before getting back to it. I've never had any trouble getting the glue out, in the first wash. I use warm water (all fabrics have been pre-washed) and regular detergent, using the bulky/bedding setting, on my washer.

CurliQ 07-19-2014 11:11 AM

Thanks so much everyone! I did it last night and love the texture of the sandwich. Goodbye pins.

Earleen 07-19-2014 12:04 PM

Elmer has become my best friend. I do it like most of the others.

Aunt Annie 07-20-2014 05:28 AM

Elmers Glue

I tried the glue one time. Watered it down and put it in a squirt bottle. It doesn't 'squirt' good. Just kind of dribbles . Then when it dried it was hard. What did I do wrong?

Originally Posted by ShelleyCS (Post 6807630)
I'm so bad. I've read about it over and over so I tried it. I just laid the backing down, drizzled glue on half of it then topped with half the batting, spread it with my hands, smoothing as I went. Wash up, repeat with other half, then repeat with top. Then ironed, then rest overnight. Done and then quilt.

Lady Diana 07-20-2014 05:35 AM

STOP THE INSANITY OF BUYING ROXANNE'S GLUE BASTE IT REFILS! I just saw the 6 oz. bottle selling for $20!
You can purchase a gallon of Elmer's for $11.99 on Amazon. Saving you $415 on Roxanne's refill. BTW if anyone is wondering about Roxanne's glue, it is Elmer's or a cheaper version! Love their tips, but don't waste your money on the glue. Elmer's works the same. When I put the Elmer's on my quilt I use a painter's edge tool after each layer to smooth....its like having a huge spatula....its about 24" long with a plastic side to grip and a metal edge to smooth with. Got it at Harbor Freight for $3.00.

dee1245 07-20-2014 08:08 AM

I have used both the liquid and the glue stick for various quilting projects. Both work well. I also use another technique that I found on this site from another member. Starch works too. I use StaFlo liquid starch diluted half and half in a spray bottle. I like this better than spray adhesive and less expensive. Around $3 for a 1/2 gallon at Walmart. I am usually in a hurry so I use a hot iron to get it dry. I just finished a Quilt as You Go in panels and the starch worked great for holding the layers together for the quilting. The only problem I had with the starch was that I had to launder my ironing board cover because it was stiff from the overspray.

Neesie 07-20-2014 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Aunt Annie (Post 6809514)
I tried the glue one time. Watered it down and put it in a squirt bottle. It doesn't 'squirt' good. Just kind of dribbles . Then when it dried it was hard. What did I do wrong?

Did you use the Elmer's 'School' glue? It must be washable 'School Glue' or all bets are off. I never water mine down, just use it straight from the bottle. It is slightly firm (not really hard), until you wash the quilt.

feffertim 07-20-2014 08:17 AM

I now use elmers for everything. No more pinning when matching seams when joining rows and for basting but i also use a hot iron to set the glue, then you don't have to wait for it to dry