Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Embroidery Floss Colors (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/embroidery-floss-colors-t19041.html)

Roben 04-16-2009 07:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
tslowery, what a fantastic job on those angels! I have a soft spot for Marilyn's angels :-)

I have floss all tucked away upstairs - I did some needlework designing before I lost the ability to focus my right eye, mainly on linens. I have full sets of Anchor and DMC, along with perle cottons, silks and overdyes - and had to come up with some serious storage. I have my sets all by number, with several boxes per line - that worked really well for grabbing the one I needed. I use parts cabinets for the perle cotton, beads, buttons, etc.

None of the manufacturers actually go by color description - those descriptions aren't official. The only thing official is the number. It is really best to get a color chart of each line, since none of them use the same numbering system either. Even within the same line, there can be differences in dye lots, just as there is in fabric and yarn.

I wrapped all my floss on acid free cards, and wrote the number from the wrapper on the card with a letter for the line (A for Anchor, D for DMC, etc.) which made putting them back much easier. Here's a couple of pics of my storage, and one favorite I stitched a few years ago.

Some of the Floss Boxes - they fit nicely in those plastic storage keepers.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]32738[/ATTACH]

Not my design, but one of my favorites from a book of antique Santas. I did this one for DH about 6 years ago.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]32765[/ATTACH]

Parts cabinets for Perle Cottons, beads, etc. - I used return address labels and printed them from Microsoft Word.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]32766[/ATTACH]

quiltnut4ever 04-16-2009 07:45 PM

I agree with mamagus, show us some of ur cross stitching! Many quilters also enjoy this handiwork. It may inspire me to return back to my abc block of angels! lol :lol:

Tippy 04-16-2009 09:49 PM

Boy does all that bring back memories.. I have a box of counted cross stitch "projects" done and some in the works. I used to have EVERY DMC floss all very tidily wrapped on acid free cards, also, labeled and in order in boxes.
Then I had little zippy bags on rings for each project with all of the corresponding flosses in them.. I also helped my mom keep up a total floss stash.. she's done most of the angels in the series that's posted on here. and I have a couple of fairies she did for me.. just haven't had them framed yet.

Bevanger 04-17-2009 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by tslowery
Cross stitch has been a love of mine. Here are a couple but pics are not so great of them. They make a DMC book with actual thread and numbers of them on the swatch.

Oooooooo those are gorgeous. You do awesome work. I'd like to make a baby quilt with some XS in it.. :D

shaverg 04-17-2009 06:47 AM

I have not cross stitched in a while. Is the thread good forever?

Bevanger 04-17-2009 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by shaverg
I have not cross stitched in a while. Is the thread good forever?

i would think so BUT some older ones may either have gotten changed or deleted

tslowery 04-19-2009 08:58 PM

Thanks for the compliments. I have not been on in several days. Life has been hectic and I have been mowing and planting flowers, redoing beds . Thanks again for the compliments I have all the dmc threads and I love to cross stitch but just recently I wanted to try my hand at quilting.

tlrnhi 04-19-2009 10:50 PM

Wow Bev...those are beautiful!

Tslowery....AWESOME ANGELS!!

I do have a question......I have a counted cross stitch that a friend started for me. She never finished it, but then GAVE me the unfinished project. Would anyone want to finish it for me? I would gladly pay. It's a beautiful angel......
I can do cross stitch, but not counted cross stitch. :(

sewnsewer2 04-20-2009 05:48 AM

I was doing cross stitch for a long time until I got my emb machine. I only bought DMC. I have 4 containers like yours full!

Bevanger 04-20-2009 05:56 AM

Cool. I've done hand embroidery for so many yrs. My mom taught me.