Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Embroidery Floss Colors

I have maybe 50-100 DMC floss colors. I got a color description chart from the DMC website. Now...not all my floss labels says DMC, some say Anchor, and some say Janlynn. I was going through this chart and using little number stickers to put on the cards that I use to hold my floss. The list I have doesn't have alot of the numbers I have, and the numbers don't match the color desciption. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this and if there is a way to tell what the colors are really supposed to be and what their numbers are. Here are some pics of my floss collections. Keep in mind I'm in the midst of re-organizing the colors...they had been flipped around in a tote I had them in, and I'm going to ge a larger organizer tomorrow at Joann's.

Verigrated colors
    Name:  Attachment-32646.jpe
Views: 271
Size:  60.5 KB

Still have to get the floss on cards
    Name:  Attachment-32647.jpe
Views: 248
Size:  62.3 KB

the whole bunch
    Name:  Attachment-32648.jpe
Views: 224
Size:  65.9 KB

I have my DMC sorted onto cards, with stickers on them, too, and have three large sectioned boxes full. I didn't go by a DMC chart, though. I just matched floss wrapper number with the sticker. I am wondering if maybe some of the colors/numbers have changed or been discontinued??? Not sure. Are you going by a colored chart or just by description? Now you have me wondering about it.

Well, I just looked up a conversion chart. The Janlynn floss is DFN, that's whats on the labal on the floss. I pretty sure those are the numbers I was getting confused on the DMC chart. I'm going through all my floss now and checking what I have and don't have. I'm hoping using the 2 charts I can account for all my floss.

Not sure that answers your question or not..can you post a pic of your floss?

Banned
    I found in the 20 something yrs of cross stitching is try to buy your floss at the same place all the time. Experience I had... I'm almost done with a pic when I run out of a color. I call my sister. Yes she has it so she drops it off on her way to work. Weird. Both are blue. Same number, Both DMC .... BUT hers is a bluish grey. Different then mine... I bought mine at Joanns. She bought hers a Bay Variety. It happened yrs ago too when Walmart used to sell DMC... Joanns was out of a color, so I ran out to Walmart. Luckily I brought a strand with me cuz they had the same number just shades off... Now every time Joanns has their sale 5@$1, I STOCK UP..... Heres my set up.... Not too organized, but works for me. Its hard to put in order as I have 3-4 of the same colors. So split up into drawers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow...I thought I had alot of floss...seems like you have quaduple what I have!! I bought alot of mine from Joann's but also some from Walmart. I'm going through my floss and checking off what I have on the DFN and DMC lists. So far I only have one color that isn't on either list. I so can't wait to get the bigger container tomorrow! I'd go get it today but hubby has the car :(

Banned
    I've been doing it for YEARS.. I got so sick of being in the middle of something and run out OR have to wait a week til payday.... Now I stock up, so I always have it on hand.....

Take some pics of your cross-stitch projects!!! I'd love to see some. Might motivate me to get back at it!

Here is my only piece that I actually own. Everything I've done has been gifts and I never took pics...

Shame shame on me!

Done with verigrated colors.
    Name:  Attachment-32650.jpe
Views: 213
Size:  33.0 KB

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamagus
    Take some pics of your cross-stitch projects!!! I'd love to see some. Might motivate me to get back at it!
    heres a slideshow of some of my work. theres so many more but that was before digital cameras :wink:
    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...97883745TOrRQV

Lovely work Ladies!

I have 2 or 3 dozen projects finished and rolled up in a diaper bag in the basement!

First my wrist got bad and I ahd to wait for carpal tunnel surgery. By the time that was healed my eyes weren't good enough to do it!

Lovely work Ladies!

I have 2 or 3 dozen projects finished and rolled up in a diaper bag in the basement!

First my wrist got bad and I ahd to wait for carpal tunnel surgery. By the time that was healed my eyes weren't good enough to do it!

So why are they rolled up in a diaper bag and not being displayed? Shame on you! ;)

Banned
    Lovely work Ladies!

I HAD TO BUY CHEAP READERS AT THE DOLLAR STORE TO WEAR OVER MY GLASSES, MAY LOOK LIKE A DORK, BUT HEY IT WORKS LOL I ADDED A NEW PIC OF THE ONE I'M WORKING ON NOW

I have seen boards with every color on them and the cross referance numbers of the diffrent companies. It looks like a handy thing to have for someone like you. I am not sure where you would get one though.

Banned
    heres is a color picture chart
    http://yarntree.com/075dmc.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Bevanger
    heres is a color picture chart
    http://yarntree.com/075dmc.htm
    Thanks Bev! That will come in very handy! I just wish I could print it oput. Unfortunatly my printer will change the shades of the colors :(

Banned
    At one time Joanns carried this folder deal with REAL floss and the color name plus number. Maybe their site has it?

Holy Canoli, Beverly!!!! :shock: I thought I had a good amount of floss, then I saw Jen's pictures, which shows she has more than I do. THEN I saw what you have. Good grief, woman! Who needs Michael's or JoAnn's when we have YOU!

I have cross stitched around 30 years, and every single piece, except one, has been given away as a gift. The piece I kept was one that I worked on, sitting next to my father who was dying. I could never bring myself to give that one away.

All in all, though, I'd have to say that I definitely love quilting more than cross stitching. Maybe it's because I can see the results faster.

Banned
    I love quilting when I'm alone and peaceful.. I do my cross stitch at night while watching tv.....

Cross stitch has been a love of mine. Here are a couple but pics are not so great of them. They make a DMC book with actual thread and numbers of them on the swatch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I should get back to my cross stitch. So little time and so many fun things to do.

One of these days. LOL

tslowery, what a fantastic job on those angels! I have a soft spot for Marilyn's angels :-)

I have floss all tucked away upstairs - I did some needlework designing before I lost the ability to focus my right eye, mainly on linens. I have full sets of Anchor and DMC, along with perle cottons, silks and overdyes - and had to come up with some serious storage. I have my sets all by number, with several boxes per line - that worked really well for grabbing the one I needed. I use parts cabinets for the perle cotton, beads, buttons, etc.

None of the manufacturers actually go by color description - those descriptions aren't official. The only thing official is the number. It is really best to get a color chart of each line, since none of them use the same numbering system either. Even within the same line, there can be differences in dye lots, just as there is in fabric and yarn.

I wrapped all my floss on acid free cards, and wrote the number from the wrapper on the card with a letter for the line (A for Anchor, D for DMC, etc.) which made putting them back much easier. Here's a couple of pics of my storage, and one favorite I stitched a few years ago.

Some of the Floss Boxes - they fit nicely in those plastic storage keepers.
    Name:  Attachment-32738.jpe
Views: 24
Size:  26.8 KB

Not my design, but one of my favorites from a book of antique Santas. I did this one for DH about 6 years ago.
    Name:  Attachment-32765.jpe
Views: 25
Size:  23.6 KB

Parts cabinets for Perle Cottons, beads, etc. - I used return address labels and printed them from Microsoft Word.
    Name:  Attachment-32766.jpe
Views: 23
Size:  34.6 KB

I agree with mamagus, show us some of ur cross stitching! Many quilters also enjoy this handiwork. It may inspire me to return back to my abc block of angels! lol :lol:

Boy does all that bring back memories.. I have a box of counted cross stitch "projects" done and some in the works. I used to have EVERY DMC floss all very tidily wrapped on acid free cards, also, labeled and in order in boxes.
    Then I had little zippy bags on rings for each project with all of the corresponding flosses in them.. I also helped my mom keep up a total floss stash.. she's done most of the angels in the series that's posted on here. and I have a couple of fairies she did for me.. just haven't had them framed yet.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tslowery
    Cross stitch has been a love of mine. Here are a couple but pics are not so great of them. They make a DMC book with actual thread and numbers of them on the swatch.
    Oooooooo those are gorgeous. You do awesome work. I'd like to make a baby quilt with some XS in it.. :D

I have not cross stitched in a while. Is the thread good forever?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast