Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   End of Seam Veers off (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/end-seam-veers-off-t2100.html)

marmar 09-01-2007 08:44 AM

When making a 1/4 in seam I've always had a problem with the fabric wanting to go to the left and the end of the seam is too narrow. I've always fought this but to no avail! I'm now using a wooden toothpick to help hold it in place but still does the little trick . Any of you have this problem - fess up. :( :( :(

Knot Sew 09-01-2007 08:59 AM

I find myself doing it...........I'm ok if I keep my mind on what I am doing...I think it was leftover from making clothes.....like darts :D

marmar 09-01-2007 09:31 AM

Ruth - this happens even tho' I'm doing my very best to keep the end of the seam straight. Is it the machine? Do you have any remedys other than pay attention? :?

june6995 09-01-2007 09:34 AM

Now I have a good excuse for the very same problem. I did dressmaking for years, but I don't recall having tht problem with seams in general.

I have heard that some sewing machines sew really straight seams, so I am wondering if the feed dogs do not carry the fabric through in a straight line? I started quilting about 7 years ago and soon realized I had this problem. I have tried to keep my mind focused on that bit at the end of the seam, but I come out with that end of the seam narrower than the beginning. I am totally frustrated.

Either I need a new machine (which ones DON'T do this.
or I need a new set of eyes?

So, MarMar, you are not alone with this stupid problem. I flip the piece over and start from the opposite end (sometimes) but it is a general nuisance!

Help!!! June in Cincinnati

Norah 09-01-2007 09:35 AM

I have that problem, too. I think I have a tendency to pull it that way with my guiding hand. A pin helps, but I do have to pay attention. Maybe the feeder dogs are pulling it htat way. Also, adjusting the pressure on the foot may help.

Steve 09-01-2007 09:46 AM

Mine does that too, though I find gently guiding the fabric from behind helps. If it gets too bunched up behind the machine, that is when I have problems. Fold, roll, or scoot the material away as it goes through.

Knot Sew 09-01-2007 09:51 AM

maybe we should try going wider at the end and see what happens.
IITYWYBMAB :wink:

cynde 09-01-2007 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Ruth Camp
maybe we should try going wider at the end and see what happens.
IITYWYBMAB :wink:

OK what does IITWYBMAB mean?

june6995 09-01-2007 09:58 AM

Steve, this happens even when I am sewing very short seams. I can certainlly see where longer seams would tend to bunch up, but ones that are 2 1/2 up to about 6 inches don't have much chance to bunch. Thanks anyway.

Come on guys, we need more answers!!!

Where are the experts?

June

kathy 09-01-2007 10:08 AM

ifitellyouwillyoubuymeabeer?

I think it has something to do with the 1/4" and at the end the feed dogs don't have enough to hold onto so it gets crooked, now if only I had a solution!