Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Enjoy the process or race to the finish line? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/enjoy-process-race-finish-line-t159804.html)

Rhaorth 10-13-2011 06:55 AM

so far I seem to be a take my time and enjoy it kind of quilter (if I can be considered a quilter)... quilter in training hehe

I don't want to rush, even though I have a dozen ideas for more quilts floating around in my head... plus sometimes... the fabric is just so pretty I hate to cut into it.. (is that silly or what?)

sandy l 10-13-2011 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
I wouldn't call mine "race to the finish" quilts. I have made some "for me" difficult quilts and right now I am in the charity giving mode and don't feel it is necessary to make some difficult or fussy pattern. I like to "enjoy" the process of quilting and not have to keep reading and rereading directions. I love doing strippy and scrappy quilts using my large and growing stash. I am at that time in my life when it is time to just sit back and enjoy life moving around me, therefore I do quickie quilts which makes for fewer WIPs or UFOs.

Ditto, my reasoning too :)

sandy l 10-13-2011 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
I wouldn't call mine "race to the finish" quilts. I have made some "for me" difficult quilts and right now I am in the charity giving mode and don't feel it is necessary to make some difficult or fussy pattern. I like to "enjoy" the process of quilting and not have to keep reading and rereading directions. I love doing strippy and scrappy quilts using my large and growing stash. I am at that time in my life when it is time to just sit back and enjoy life moving around me, therefore I do quickie quilts which makes for fewer WIPs or UFOs.

Ditto, my reasoning too :)

Cagey 10-13-2011 07:35 AM

I really enjoy every step of the process but once I get started I an anxious to see the finished product. I'm always thinking about the next project or something in my bucket list.

smcfadden 10-13-2011 07:43 AM

Quilterella, I'm exactly the same way. I love the fabric and project selection process! I love cutting the fabric (which is why I haven't bought an Accuquilt, etc.), but once I'm done with cutting I want the finished project.

Iluv2quilt 10-13-2011 07:48 AM

When I only knew how to make log cabin quilts in the beginning I was racing to the finish, but now I just love the process of design, selecting fabric, piecing. I pay more attention to quality of my work this way, I just love the process.

Lucy90 10-13-2011 08:24 AM

I don't like to be fast and furious on my quilting. I do enjoy the process but there are times I get bored with a quilt and put it aside for awhile. That is how I get UFO's. I have finished 7 UFO's and have a few projects in progress but I like taking my time. If I hurry to much I make mistakes. Life is to hurry, hurry, hurry and there are times where a person just needs to enjoy life.

Tinabug 10-13-2011 09:07 AM

My name is Frankie and I was ashamed to admit that I binned a project! It was the fabric's fault, a Hot Wheels fabric that was not quality. Now I have justification! Yay, I'll make some place mats for the kids instead. I binned and I'm happy.

Originally Posted by k3n

Originally Posted by Painiacs
I'm still pretty new sO enjoy the process. I like seeing it unfold!

Perhaps this is it - we should all review our quilting habits from time to time so we KEEP this enthusiasm. It makes me sad when I see folk on here really despondent with a project and forcing themselves to carry on. BIN IT and start something else - life's too short! :-D

GrannyFitz4 10-13-2011 09:39 AM

I am happy to hear that others are slow quilters. I sometimes feel bad when I am in a class or retreat and everybody is faster than I am. Has anyone ever literally done a "quilt in a day" It would take me at least a week.

patchsamkim 10-13-2011 09:45 AM

I used to be much more of a race to the finish line kind of quilter, but over the years have become more of an enjoy the process...and sometimes there can even be almost a let down when I finish a quilt. I still like to have more than one project going at a time though, as my attention span on working on just one quilt wavers and I like to work with different colors/patterns.