Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   EQ 5 or newer edition? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/eq-5-newer-edition-t278135.html)

carslo 04-27-2016 09:04 AM

EQ 5 or newer edition?

I have come to the point where I am confident enough to make a quilt of my own design. On ebay there are EQ5s for a reasonable price. Would any of you have any recommendations on the ease of using this type of programs, or alternately have any other recommendations? Thank you very much!

Onebyone 04-27-2016 09:59 AM

I have upgraded each time starting with EQ3 EQ7 is the best of all I've used, more features. I thought EQ5 was great too when I first got it so if price is a concern then start with EQ5. If you upgrade later there will be a slight learning curve.

dunster 04-27-2016 11:10 AM

The user interface was drastically changed (and improved) in later versions. I would only start with 5 if price was a major concern.

QuiltnNan 04-27-2016 12:28 PM

i've had EQ5 for years and have not found a need to upgrade. with any of the versions, there will be a learning curve... just take all the lessons in the book... you'll get there

ManiacQuilter2 04-27-2016 02:06 PM

The only reason I upgrade to EQ7 was because you can not download the free fabric from their site. I am still learning how to use EQ7. It is just not designing your quilts, it is being able to put any patterns and be able to resize the pattern or turn it in a PP patterns. Just be forewarn that it does not tell you how many pieces to cut for the quilt. It will tell you how to cut the pieces of each individual block.

Peckish 04-27-2016 04:36 PM

There have been many conversations in the past about the EQ programs. You might do a search and read all the comments on previous threads.

I love EQ7 and have found it easy to use. Others have struggled and found it difficult to learn.

It's rather hard to comment on "ease of use" without knowing you, your specific skill set, and your preferred learning style.

NJ Quilter 04-27-2016 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 7534841)
i've had EQ5 for years and have not found a need to upgrade. with any of the versions, there will be a learning curve... just take all the lessons in the book... you'll get there

This is me as well. I am not a designer by any stretch of the imagination. I use it to draft various blocks; get a general idea if colors play nicely together; get fabric requirements. I did not go through the lessons per se but I did look at the book and do use it for reference.

With the costs involved, if you are not planning to do extensive designing and/or want to have access to fabric libraries, I would definitely consider v5.

Can't speak about other similar programs.

indycat32 04-28-2016 05:18 AM

I bought EQ 5 years ago but never took the time or effort to learn it properly. I've since purchased EQ7 (which I also have not yet learned). I'd be happy to send you my EQ 5. I seem to remember I had to go to their website to activate it and it would only work on one computer, so I am not sure if it will work for you. PM me your address if you want it.

Weezy Rider 04-28-2016 05:54 AM

I think 5 stays activated once installed. So does 6. 7 has to call home each time you use it.

I have 6 on the craft computer. It's an old XP box and doesn't go online unless I have to plug in the cable.

Boston1954 04-28-2016 08:11 AM

I have EQ5 and I love it. My sister has EQ7 and rarely touches the thing. I tried it a couple of times and it's like learning the thing all over again.