Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ergonomic Saddle Chair (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ergonomic-saddle-chair-t244906.html)

sandrab64 04-10-2014 05:17 AM

Ergonomic Saddle Chair

Has anyone tried using an ergonomic saddle chair when sewing/quilting? I have the standard adjustable office chair right now but this looked kind of interesting.

ohstr 04-10-2014 05:27 AM

I have one and I am in the process of learning.....how to sit on it. It is comfortable and the height is adjustable so it becomes almost a custom fit for you. I have used it while using the quilting machine and have yet to use it while piecing and sewing.

RN-Quilter 04-10-2014 05:38 AM

That chair does not look comfortable..... neither does it do anything for sitting like a lady ...like my dear mother taught me!! :)

DebraK 04-10-2014 05:41 AM

I've been wanting one for when I do micro-quilting.

Sewnoma 04-10-2014 05:44 AM

That is a WEIRD looking chair! Particularly the one that you sit on sort of backwards, with what looks like a back rest actually being a chest-and-forearm rest. It seems like that would be hot, like wearing a huge padded vest.

I would be curious to try one out...I have back problems, and have had a hip replaced, so not sure if it would be really good for me or really bad! Where would one go to try one out in person, I wonder? I've never seen a chair like that for sale around here.

Tartan 04-10-2014 06:12 AM

I have a regular office chair. I think that would just bug me and if you have ever sat on a bycycle seat for a long time....you know the problem with that.

CorgiNole 04-10-2014 06:16 AM

I think the backwards one would get in the way of maneuvering the quilt. I've seen recommendations for the saddle chair (without arm or back) for use with a frame - and I think it does allow the sitter great flexibility to move around/along the frame.

Does anyone remember the 'chairs' where you rested your shins on the lower padding - and had no backrest. We had one for years with our computer desk, though now I'd probably fall on my face trying to stand up from it.

Cheers, K

Misty's Mom 04-10-2014 06:33 AM

I use an adjustable stool that drummers use, very comfortable

mckwilter 04-10-2014 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by CorgiNole (Post 6668835)
Does anyone remember the 'chairs' where you rested your shins on the lower padding - and had no backrest. We had one for years with our computer desk, though now I'd probably fall on my face trying to stand up from it.

Cheers, K

There were pictures of "kneeling chairs" with the saddle seats. I think that's what you are thinking about. I used to want one, but now I don't think my knees could handle it.

ManiacQuilter2 04-10-2014 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6668824)
I have a regular office chair. I think that would just bug me and if you have ever sat on a bicycle seat for a long time....you know the problem with that.

THANKS for the laugh Tartan !!! I think as long as you have a GOOD office chair, you should get the proper support from that. I use to quilt professionally and with a lumbar support, I kept my back problems down to a low rumble !!