Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ever have a quilt ruined by a LA Quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ever-have-quilt-ruined-la-quilter-t195540.html)

allie1448 07-25-2012 02:37 PM

I cannot believe the LA thought this was in any way acceptable. I am sorry. I spent a full year quilting charity quilts before i agreed, reluctantly, to quilt for someone else. I gave a ridiculously low price on the understanding I was a real newbie. I stitched, i unstitched, I played and finally completed the top and with great tripidation gave it back to the piecer and she promptly paid me THREE times what I had asked for!! I still do very few quilts for others, I prefer to show quilters how to use my machine and then they can rent time and quilt for themselves with me in shouting distance for any problems and confidence boosts. I do hope you manage to salvage the quilt. My heart goes out to you

wolph33 07-25-2012 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by tezell0801 (Post 5390368)
Ok, I was able to get a few pics off of my facebook account I will try to post these. And no, I didn't not post these pics on fb, just sent them privately to a friend last night - I needed a shoulder to cry on. This is a small sample of many issues, I think you will see I am not over reacting.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]351104[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]351105[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]351105[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]351106[/ATTACH]

you are right-that is awful.She is a rookie.When I try something new sometimes it looks like that -but only on my fabric not on a customers.I have quilted a few tops that were not as perfect as they should have been-I call them a reject and I use them myself-since I have dogs.I would never try to sell a quilt that was quilted like that.

wolph33 07-25-2012 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 5393250)
You may think you are "Too nice" to confront her (and I'm sure you ARE a nice person) -- but you are NOT doing her any favor to let her go on thinking this is acceptable work.

How about sending her a letter or email, with pictures? No confrontation but she will get the message that her quilting is not up to snuff.

I agree-she needs to know that it was not acceptable.

Rose_P 07-25-2012 03:21 PM

Some of those problems look like things that happen to me when I'm attempting FMQ on my little Bernina, and I would never, ever consider charging someone for that or even volunteering to quilt something made by someone else.

Someone in our guild had a beautiful quilt that came back from the LA-er with terrible problems. She got a couple of friends from her bee to help her take out the stitches. Sharing the work might make it a lot more bearable, as well as much faster. If you don't have any friends nearby armed with seam rippers, maybe you could find some via this board. You can search the membership list for those near you, and turn it into a getting-to-know-you social occasion, maybe treat them to a movie and/or dinner. I'd certainly be willing if I lived nearby. Good luck!

nanOmint 07-25-2012 03:35 PM

I have a mid-arm and this looks like my work. That's why I am taking any quilts I care about to an LA. I have decided that I am a piecer not a quilter.

Buckeye Rose 07-25-2012 03:37 PM

I am guessing that you didn't look at the quilting before leaving the LA - lesson for everyone - check out what your quilter has done before you ever pay (you try on clothes before you buy don't you?). You absolutely have to take that quilt back and show her all the issues and request a refund. I certainly wouldn't give her another opportunity at your quilts until she can show you a much improved sample of her quilting. Then take the quilt home, rip out the stitching (it really won't take that long) and find someone who will give you quality work.

IAmCatOwned 07-25-2012 03:38 PM

I agree with other posters. Let her know that you weren't happy with her quilting and let the shop know that they did you a huge disservice recommending someone who had JUST GOTTEN their long arm! Perhaps she previously took in hand quilting and they don't know that her long arm skills are poor. Either way, they shouldn't be recommending someone who is obviously not yet up to professional standards.

It isn't ruined however. It's a dorm quilt. Wash it, dry it, and your niece will be thrilled. The batting will nicely wrinkle it and the errors will simply fade away. Only quilters notice the errors, believe me.

I belong to another board and every time someone there gets a long arm, I send that person several of my quilt tops to practice on. These are quilt tops that I didn't really invest a lot of time on. Usually scraps. Sometimes the results are absolutely fabulous. Sometimes not so much. However, the recipients have all loved their quilts and I get a quilt done for very little money while a new long-armer (is that a word?) gets a chance to practice on a 'real' quilt.

Grandma Peg 07-25-2012 04:17 PM

I think you should go back to the LAQ and let her know you are very disappointed. Hopefully she will try to redo. So sad, can't even imagine this happening. good luck.

nstitches4u 07-25-2012 05:17 PM

What a disappointing experience. I'm so sorry this happened to you. I would definitely tell the LAer that I was unhappy with the quilting job. Maybe you can at least get your money back so you can take lessons and rent time on a LA to quilt it yourself. GOOD LUCK,

nightquilter 07-25-2012 06:37 PM

YES this happened to me on a Christmas gift. I brought it home and took OUT EVERY STITCH.I was mad and this helped. I am so sorry it had to happened to You.I have a super friend who hand quilted my quilt in one week! Let your neice use it in college with your love!!!!! Other college students will sit on her bed anyway.