Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ever NOT been able to 'relate' to a machine?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ever-not-been-able-relate-machine-t276552.html)

Veinurse 03-10-2016 03:25 PM

I love my FW, my 301 even more but I need my fancy Janome for so many things. I am happy I have them all. 2 years ago bought my self a lighter weight, but computerized machine for the long weekends when I might need ZZ or want to free motion. I bought another Janome so he bobbins fit and with the idea my then 5 yr old GD would get it. I have not bonded at all with it. It's just too light and the stitches are awful! My sewing room is set up with 3 machines. Piecing on the 301 and everything else on the 8200.

Prism99 03-10-2016 03:41 PM

DonnaC, try putting a couple of Dr. Scholl's Odoreater charcoal shoe insoles in the FW case and also inside the trash bag that you have the case in. This can work wonders on moldy odors. If your case is extremely bad, you may need to change out the insoles after a few months.

donnalbaldwin 03-10-2016 04:06 PM

Yes, I can relate.....I adore my Diamond....and now I don't like my (other sewing machine) traveling machine.....I will give it to my grandchild in a few years...I won't even use it while my Diamond is in the shop.

mamagrande 03-10-2016 08:27 PM

I took "Frances" my FW to the doctor's today. She was stressing out and has tension problems. I love her so hoping everything will turn out fine..because i use her quite often.
I also have a 301 in a beautiful cabinet, a Singer Treadle, and Viking and a new Janome. I only use my machines for quilting. I don't make clothes, crafts or diy projects, so all i need is straight stitching.

I am trying to downsize (I am 75) do I will offer most of the machines to my children and if they don't want them sell them.

patski 03-10-2016 09:05 PM

I sold my FW, it worked it was light and it just didn't thrill me. I like the brighter lights, the bells and whistles on the new machines! I also bought a Ruby Viking but I just didn't like it. I traded it for a Brother Dreamweaver. I love it and have a great relationship with it. Sometimes you just have to work and work to find the perfect machine for you

Divokittysmom 03-10-2016 10:26 PM

I think probably part of my issue is I have two 'Dream machines' that I dearly love!! And although I knew my FW could only stitch forward and reverse... I've grown so used to having it 'ALL' that it's just been difficult to step back.Again, no disrespect to Featherweight I still adore them. ;)

countrymaid 03-11-2016 06:34 AM

I've wanted a FW for years. I've searched through estate sales, Craig's list, etc. One day I searched Craig's List for Janome and woohooo.... a Janome Gem had been listed for $75 just 2 hours prior. Told my boss I had a family emergency and drove 50 miles to pick her up. I sew on a Janome DC2010 and now I have my Jem for class work! So happy to have her.

todiesmom 03-11-2016 06:54 AM

this has nothing to do with a FW...but I have a Brother machine as a back up to my Bernina....it has lots of stitches and lots of feet and is a nice little machine but somehow it is so different from my Bernina that I cannot relate to it. I have to look up the process in the manual everytime I use it. I love my Bernina and I guess nothing else works as well for me but having said that since I cannot afford another Bernina the Brother will have to do if my Bernina has to go in the shop...lol

mea12 03-11-2016 07:06 AM

I have quite a few machines and have fostered many others before moving them on to the next person. I do love mechanical machines and actually feel happiest with those EXCEPT i miss needle up/down and then i tend to also miss variable needle position, after which i start to miss the auto thread-cutter tho i can do without it, its still reeeally nice to have! the first two are things i happily do without initially for the other pleasures but in the end, that's what drives me back to the computerized models. They do lack that sweet sound, perfect stitch and most often the power, too. I try to use all my machines and am happy to re-visit each one of them its a bit like musical chairs and that's what makes ME happy. lol

Wintersewer 03-11-2016 08:49 AM

I agree with you, Divo. I am spoiled with my modern machines.