Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ever use camo fabric for a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ever-use-camo-fabric-quilt-t176846.html)

Retired Quilter 01-26-2012 06:15 AM

I got camo fabric from Joann's. Made a simple square in a square adding some dark green and brown. Incorporated some of his hunting pictures and backed it with a brown fleece that had pine cones and branches on it. He loved it.

Holice 01-26-2012 06:33 AM

I have had a lot of fun with using camo fabric. Get one focus piece and combine it with complimentary patterns and colors. Anything nature works. I have also used small checks in complimentary colors as well as plaids.
The most fun has been using a Alexandra Henry "Camaflague Ladies" fabric in a quilt. Probably strictly adult.
It is the black sillioute of an unclothed lady sitting. You have probably seen it as a bumper sticker on a pickup.
You don't have to be fancy with the patterns. I have one version that it is just strips sewed together on the diagonal and then used what was left over from trimming for another quilt.
Oh well, I could go on and on.

rexie 01-26-2012 07:54 AM

I made my son a Trip Around the World camo quilt. I took 5 different fabrics depicting his interests and it turned out great. I made my daughter in law a snow camo bow tucks bag.

Ellageo 01-26-2012 08:36 AM

Husbands Camo Throw Quilt

1 Attachment(s)
HI! This is a"Trip around the World" quilt...I'm a 'new' quilter, and had made for all my children(6)..then my husband began to cry :( ..everyone had a quilt but him! So, since I'm kept warm with hot flashes, he needs a little something to keep warm watching TV...I gathered all my pieces that resembled camo, camo colors..and made a 'Trip around the World' !!!

mississippiqltr 01-26-2012 08:59 AM

I've done one and did the Rail Fence and it turned out really cute. Unfortunately I do not have a photo to show.

Z Any Mouse 01-26-2012 09:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Annevc (Post 4907550)
Hi, my grandson wants a quilt using camo fabric. I'm at a loss as to a pattern to use. What do you do with camo????

My son was into camo when he was little, so I made several camo pajamas for him. He outgrew them of course, but I had enough scraps left over to make him a quilt. It's flannel on both sides, and weighs a TON. He's 16 now, and still loves his quilt.

Sorry the picture isn't very clear, but you get the idea : )

Slow2Sew 01-26-2012 10:27 AM

I took my DGS shopping w/me when he wanted a camo quilt. Instead of plain camo, he chose a woodsy scene w/cabins & bears. There was contrasting fabric w/lighter backgrounds and also one of a woodgrain print. I used those for borders and a pillow. I also used leftover fabrics to make large blocks and bright/hunters' orange letters to put his name on the wallhanging.
Camo has never been my favorite, but he loved it and we had a great time shopping together.

pinkberrykay 01-26-2012 10:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]306382[/ATTACH]
The lighting is not very good, but hopefully you get the idea. I can see the it is hard to distinguish which one it is but I used BROWN camo.

mamaquilts 01-26-2012 10:59 AM

I was given some pink camo for a baby quilt. It blended in with all the other fabrics in the quilt.

Z Any Mouse 01-26-2012 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ellageo (Post 4912712)
HI! This is a"Trip around the World" quilt...I'm a 'new' quilter, and had made for all my children(6)..then my husband began to cry :( ..everyone had a quilt but him! So, since I'm kept warm with hot flashes, he needs a little something to keep warm watching TV...I gathered all my pieces that resembled camo, camo colors..and made a 'Trip around the World' !!!

Love this! Who knew camo could be so pretty? Lol