Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric choices - input needed!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-choices-input-needed-t249402.html)

GailG 07-02-2014 11:23 AM

Actually, IMHO, it is in the eye of the beholder. Personally I love the combination.But I love muted tones. It will be soothing. Not all quilts need to be vibrant and popping. If auntpiggylpn chose these particular fabrics, there must be something that is pleasing to her. But that's just me.

quiltstringz 07-02-2014 11:37 AM

I too am not fond of the one on the right - if you have a blue (tone on tone) that would work great

Doggramma 07-02-2014 11:59 AM

I actually think it's perfect for the color scheme you described, and I'm usually one for bold colors.

auntpiggylpn 07-02-2014 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Doggramma (Post 6783241)
I actually think it's perfect for the color scheme you described, and I'm usually one for bold colors.

I too love bold colors and I think that is why I am struggling with fabric choices for this quilt.

SharonTheriault 07-02-2014 12:40 PM

I am making a quilt with this block now. I have found that a cream background works well. Moda has a pretty one that doesn't have any yellow in it. I like the two colors on the left also. I got two layer cakes of Moda's French General fabrics and found that the larger prints seem to fade out with the cream background, so I would stick to medium prints. One thing to watch for while doing this block is that all the seams after the initial seams are on the bias. Don't know if I would have tried this one if I had realized that. Using a lot of spray starch before doing any sewing. Should keep Niagra in business this month. :-)

zozee 07-02-2014 01:03 PM

I'm liking the left and middle ones together and think I'd exchange the one on the right for a vivid blue solid.

Tartan 07-02-2014 02:32 PM

Subtle but pretty choices. I think with a white or off white background there should be enough contrast to see the pattern. Starch well and sew and measure carefully. The bias edges are tricky but they really helped me line up the little hourglass corners when I sewed my blocks together.

cjsews 07-02-2014 02:39 PM

I like the fabrics. I think with a darker blue or brown for the background, all will play well together. I am one that has a hard time with muted colors, Love them when someone else does a quilt but I can't seem to make them work. Whatever you choose, I would love to see it finished.

playswithcolor 07-02-2014 02:43 PM

Maybe add some blue? One of the fabrics has blue in it.

quiltmouse 07-02-2014 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by cjsews (Post 6783419)
I like the fabrics. I think with a darker blue or brown for the background, all will play well together. I am one that has a hard time with muted colors, Love them when someone else does a quilt but I can't seem to make them work. Whatever you choose, I would love to see it finished.

I'm with cjsews... I think a rich chocolate brown would set it all off & pull it together. ...I see brown in the dark shades of the pink one. but a solid brown, not a blender. The three focus fabrics are all blenders.