Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric choices - input needed!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-choices-input-needed-t249402.html)

Leslie333 07-02-2014 04:02 PM

My eye is drawn to the two on the left together, but not as much the one on the right. It does seem to have a pink tint and may very well be your reason for choosing it given the home decor. Maybe the man would enjoy something of his own with no pink. :) I like the idea of a blue or brown instead or even another muted batik that has blues and browns.

KLO 07-02-2014 04:03 PM

Love your fabrics! As others have mentioned (and after checking out the tutorial), I think the most important thing is making sure you have good contrast between the fabrics and the background choice. So, lay your chosen fabrics on the background choices and make sure they stand out. Other than that, go for it! It will make a lovely gift for a deserving person.

auntpiggylpn 07-02-2014 04:05 PM

The fabric on the right doesn't have a pink tone to it! Must be how everyone's monitors are showing it. It is dark brown and the background is a smoky, dirty off white

Jennifer23 07-02-2014 09:54 PM

I really like this combination. I think the one on the right is my favourite; it doesn't look pinkish to me. I think they go well together, although I agree with some other posters that a dark blue or brown would be my choice for the background instead of a light neutral.

I like quilts with muted colour schemes. Quilts don't have to be the star of every room they're in; I like it when they share the spotlight with the rest of the decor. I think this will be a nice, quiet, manly quilt.

paoberle 07-03-2014 02:53 AM

I don't like the two outside ones together. You need to add a splash of color. If the couple has has pinks and greens in their home they obviously like color.

quiltmom04 07-03-2014 04:30 AM

I would do a test block before you cut everything. I'm afraid there is not enough contrast, and that perhaps you will loose your points with the wide color variations.

Sew Freak 07-03-2014 04:32 AM

luv your fabrics!!

dee1245 07-03-2014 08:36 AM

I am fairly new to quilting, so I may not be of much help, but my question to you would be, are you planning to make two different colorways or are you planning to go with one color setting only? The block itself only uses two colors.

auntpiggylpn 07-03-2014 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by dee1245 (Post 6784428)
I am fairly new to quilting, so I may not be of much help, but my question to you would be, are you planning to make two different colorways or are you planning to go with one color setting only? The block itself only uses two colors.

If you notice on Jenny's tutorial, she used a layer cake which would have possible 30 or more different print fabrics paired with the solid layer cake. I am just using 3 different batiks but each block will have the same solid fabric in it. That block would be a HOT MESS if you used 2 or more prints in it!

klswift 07-03-2014 09:48 AM

I agree with several others, I like the one on the left and the middle. If the quilt is for a male, I would use as my third color a dark brown (chocolate) or a deep warm blue. The you could use either a taupe, beige or cream(not yellow based) as a background. The one on the right is very pretty fabric - a good starter for your next quilt!