Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric Cost (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-cost-t188649.html)

Jennja 05-11-2012 12:04 AM

Wish our LQS had material for $15 mtr, mostly we pay around $21 and upwards. They wonder why we buy online, even with postage it still works out cheaper than our local QS. Mind you, we have to watch what the postage costs are, some are way over the limit, but mostly for material the postage is not too bad.

happyquiltmom 05-11-2012 04:08 AM

I think some shops have to mark their fabric up more because of the overhead to keep their shops open.

At the LQS where I work, new fabric is coming in now at $10.69 or less. It seems to have leveled out finally. Two years ago it was coming in at $8.99, and then it started escalating dramatically. I hope it's done rising for awhile at least.

PaperPrincess 05-11-2012 04:25 AM

Here on the other side of the state, the prices went from $9 to $12. Haven't seen any at $15. That would be a good incentive to shop my stash!

poochy 05-11-2012 05:50 AM

Like Jennja I mostly buy my fabrics on line. It is just to expensive most of the time. Would love to suppport the LQS but being retired I have to watch the money and paying Over $20 is too much. Most of the time I wait till I get either free postage or cheaper postage and stock up. Makes for a great time when the parcel arrives

Lori S 05-11-2012 05:56 AM

I would definately pause at $15.00 per yard if not put the brakes on buying completely. If the shop is the highest price in the area... it will be a real struggle to maintain customers.

gramarraine 05-11-2012 06:31 AM

I feel that these prices are way out of line. She should consider not making such a big profit and pricing a little lower. If she doesn't she may be out of a job sooner than she wants to. Where I live I have to drive 20 miles one way and 45 the other to get to a quilt shop. If the prices are highter driving 20 miles than they are driving 45 miles I would drive the 45 miles to get better prices. I know a lot of my friends feel the same way.

garysgal 05-11-2012 12:54 PM

My friend who buys for a fabric store just came back from the market where she goes to buy for the store. She told me that fabric prices are holding-not going up and not going down. She buys flat folds that sell for $6.99 in the store and the fabric on bolts sell for $8.99. The fabric store in town is up to $12.99.

vickimc 05-11-2012 04:59 PM

It is like that every where. The price of cotton has good up lots.

QuiltMania 05-11-2012 05:28 PM

I won't pay $10 per yard so I sure as heck wouldn't pay $15.

GreatStarter 05-11-2012 06:09 PM

Our local shops have been pricing new fabrics at $12-$12.50 a yard recently. Probably all of them will be pricing the newest at close to what you are seeing. Unfortunately for some (such as myself) I can no longer afford those prices. I love quilting but am afriad I won't be able to do it much longer, unless I use poorer quality fabric.
Kat