Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fabric Cost

Fabric Cost

I quilt at a small quilt shop located in a farming community. The cost per yard of fabric 2 years ago was $8-$9 a yard which I was happy to pay. Now, the new fabric came in today and the shop owner was marking it as $15 per yard. I'm so afraid she is pricing herself out of the market and this small community will not support this price increase. I'm not sure if I should say something to her or just wait and see what happens. The shop has only been open for 2 years and I've been their customer from the beginning and I consider her a friend.

She may have no choice on the new stuff ;-(

Blog Entries
    I won't pay $15 dollars a yard for cotton fabric just to keep a local shop in business. I don't know any of my quilting friends or guild members that would pay that price even though they could.
    Got fabric?

It's certainly worth opening up a dialog if you approach the subject in a curious and non judgmental manner.

Blog Entries
    I agree, she may not have a choice. And quite honestly, her price increase isn't out of line with the recent price increases in my area. Good flannel has gone up to $14.99/yard. You could always sweetly ask about the reason for it.

Blog Entries
    I've seen prices at $11.99 in our LQS but I'm not willing to pay $15. Lansing is a pretty big town but I hardly believe that $15 would be supported here either.
    Every Sunrise brings a blessing

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    a sign o the times for sure. it will get some to attacking their stash more often and keep those of us with no stash from quilting new projects or sewing as often
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

Even if I could afford it (which I can't) I wouldn't pay $15 a yard for fabric. As others have said her cost may be so high that she has to charge that much to make a profit. I'm afraid that is why quilt shops are going out of business. Thank goodness I have a huge stash and like to do scrappy quilts so anything works.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    No way would I pay that price when i can surf the web and find the like or similar for cheaper..

Unfortunately brick and mortar shops may be dwindling faster and faster with those prices..

Power Poster
    I feel bad for LQS that are raising their prices due to increased fabric costs because they just can't compete with online shopping. Unfortunately as bad as I feel, I can't buy fabric for a quilt at those prices. I look for sale fabrics that I put with my fabric stash or buy online.

Wish our LQS had material for $15 mtr, mostly we pay around $21 and upwards. They wonder why we buy online, even with postage it still works out cheaper than our local QS. Mind you, we have to watch what the postage costs are, some are way over the limit, but mostly for material the postage is not too bad.
    "The manner of giving is worth more than the gift"
    (Pierre Corneeille)

http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...565342FC5A.png

I think some shops have to mark their fabric up more because of the overhead to keep their shops open.

At the LQS where I work, new fabric is coming in now at $10.69 or less. It seems to have leveled out finally. Two years ago it was coming in at $8.99, and then it started escalating dramatically. I hope it's done rising for awhile at least.

Blog Entries
    Here on the other side of the state, the prices went from $9 to $12. Haven't seen any at $15. That would be a good incentive to shop my stash!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Like Jennja I mostly buy my fabrics on line. It is just to expensive most of the time. Would love to suppport the LQS but being retired I have to watch the money and paying Over $20 is too much. Most of the time I wait till I get either free postage or cheaper postage and stock up. Makes for a great time when the parcel arrives

I would definately pause at $15.00 per yard if not put the brakes on buying completely. If the shop is the highest price in the area... it will be a real struggle to maintain customers.

I feel that these prices are way out of line. She should consider not making such a big profit and pricing a little lower. If she doesn't she may be out of a job sooner than she wants to. Where I live I have to drive 20 miles one way and 45 the other to get to a quilt shop. If the prices are highter driving 20 miles than they are driving 45 miles I would drive the 45 miles to get better prices. I know a lot of my friends feel the same way.
    Lorraine

My friend who buys for a fabric store just came back from the market where she goes to buy for the store. She told me that fabric prices are holding-not going up and not going down. She buys flat folds that sell for $6.99 in the store and the fabric on bolts sell for $8.99. The fabric store in town is up to $12.99.

It is like that every where. The price of cotton has good up lots.
    Vicki Mc in SC
    www.jacksonpatchquilt.blogspot.com

I won't pay $10 per yard so I sure as heck wouldn't pay $15.

Our local shops have been pricing new fabrics at $12-$12.50 a yard recently. Probably all of them will be pricing the newest at close to what you are seeing. Unfortunately for some (such as myself) I can no longer afford those prices. I love quilting but am afriad I won't be able to do it much longer, unless I use poorer quality fabric.
    Kat

I've seen fabric at the $12 range for awhile in the shops where I've shopped. With cotton prices having risen so dramatically in the last year or so, it's unfortunate that we're having to pay these prices. Since I retired & now can't get to a couple of the shops I used to shop at, I'm having to shop online more & paying even more attention to price. $15 per yard is getting pretty steep, no matter if you can afford it or not.

Blog Entries
    You could always say something like, "Yikes! That's expensive." and see where the dialogue goes. Or just let her see what happens. Personally I wouldn't have even paid $8-9 a yard, but that's me. I have a hard and fast rule - no more than $4 a yard for anything.
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

I can afford the $15, but I wouldn't do it.. I'm sure the fabric is georgous, but I don't think there is a need to spend that much.. I'm not saying to go cheap, but there are online stores that sell, and are more reaaonable.. I don't think she will continue in business... You might want to say something to her, but sometimes people have to see for themselves..

Not me, I'll continue to shop sales, clearance, and my own stash. I do shop at my LQS, but mostly for just what I need, or the end of bolt table.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Everything in the world has gone up. And, so has fabric. I am a non-smoker, and wonder about the logic of paying $50 a carton for cigarettes. At least there is something left of the fabric.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast