Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric cost too much (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-cost-too-much-t143599.html)

ThreadHead 08-08-2011 09:09 AM

I went to a local fabric store yesterday to pick up my pattern book. Every three or four yiears I buy their old pattern books when they get the new ones in. I was so upset at the prices of material. I refuse to pay 12.00 a yard. Most of the quilting fabric was 10.00 and UP, ultra suede was .45 cents and INCH. Needless to say, I walked out without buying anything. Just venting.

jmabby 08-08-2011 09:11 AM

I think we all have our heart stop by the price of fabric in the quilt/fabric stores.

crafty pat 08-08-2011 09:13 AM

Yes the prices are going up. I don't buy like I used to, but if I fall in love with it I try to buy some of it.

irishrose 08-08-2011 09:13 AM

That's a good price for Ultrasuede. It was $39.95 a yard years ago.

My fabric store hasn't gone over $10 a yard yet. I try to stick to sales unless I only need a small amount.

Farm Quilter 08-08-2011 09:16 AM

I agree and I won't pay that. Thank goodness there are still places online to get good fabric for less than $5 a yard. I'll shop there until that is no longer available, then I'll switch to using our old clothes and nice shirts and dresses I can find at Goodwill for a buck.

Certainly makes our stash worth so much more :thumbup:

MIJul 08-08-2011 09:19 AM

I feel the same way. It's gotten so that I try to use only what's in my stash, purchasing new fabrics only if I need to add to what I have. How long will it take before we see more LQ stores closing again? As it is, the ones that I've been to have fewer fabrics to choose from compared to just a few years ago. I don't blame them. It must be difficult to know what to stock and not be left with a lot of fabric that has to be discounted to move. They have bills to pay also.

Zhillslady 08-08-2011 09:19 AM

Our LQS has only raised the prices on the fabrics that are new coming in but the next city over I notied last week her new fabrics are $12 so she's raised the older still in stock up to the same price. I will not buy from her aaain. I understand the prices went up on cotton so they have to raise but that bolt you bought 6 months ago did not go up in costs.

NanaCsews2 08-08-2011 09:22 AM

Our LQS also charge 11.99. Only the Kona solids are 7.00 yd. Once a month they have 20% off. I too noticed the other day that they had raised the prices on fabric that has been in the shop for some time. Frightening.

QuiltE 08-08-2011 09:24 AM

Ladies ... enjoy and appreciate your "high" prices for they really are low in perspective to what many of us have at our availablility.

So yes, just call me (and others) green with envy at such terribly high prices, as you say!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

JulieR 08-08-2011 09:30 AM

If they don't raise the price on what they have in stock, they won't be able to afford to replace it when it's gone.

Fabric is getting pricey but there are deals still to be had all over the place if you look. I pay top dollar for special purchases and find ways to cut costs on the rest.