Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   fabric crayons... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-crayons-t66887.html)

Sadiemae 09-26-2010 02:19 PM

I use fabric markers, not regular markers. The markers used in the sample above are sold at both JoAnn Fabrics and Michaels. I have never used regular crayons or markers, but other people do. They sell a lot of different types of markers. Crayola even sells a fabric marker now. Dritz has crayons. If you google you will find many.

Chele 09-26-2010 02:43 PM

I've played with Crayola fabric crayons. Dritz distributes them. I found mine at Jo-Ann's. They're a lot of fun. Thanks for the reminder to get them out and play!

Mariah 09-26-2010 03:50 PM

Glad I got it straightened out; Fabric Markers, not regular markers. Sorry, misread it.
Thanks for helping; cute picture of boy done with the markers!
Mariah

gollytwo 09-26-2010 04:41 PM

I bought fabric crayons for my two oldest grandchildren to color in a quilt for their new brother.
He's 6 now and the quilt's been washed alot and has held up well.

2wheelwoman 09-26-2010 04:51 PM

I was in a mini-class for this. We used Crayola brand. We all were told to bring in "stuff" with different textures, like dotted swiss, screening, rubber carpet holders, etc. If you put these under your picture while you are coloring it, you can get some very nice effects, rather than a flat colored picture. We had a blast doing this, and I got my FIRST big box of crayons with the sharpener in it! I'd wanted that since 1st grade. A little late, but fun...

gollytwo 09-26-2010 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by 2wheelwoman
I was in a mini-class for this. We used Crayola brand. We all were told to bring in "stuff" with different textures, like dotted swiss, screening, rubber carpet holders, etc. If you put these under your picture while you are coloring it, you can get some very nice effects, rather than a flat colored picture. We had a blast doing this, and I got my FIRST big box of crayons with the sharpener in it! I'd wanted that since 1st grade. A little late, but fun...

Neat! thanks for the info

Mariah 09-26-2010 05:16 PM

Great ideas! Thanks, Mariah.

nlgh 09-26-2010 05:18 PM

Don't you have to use some kind of protection for the ironing board when ironing to set the color?

MadQuilter 09-26-2010 05:25 PM

I have used the fabric crayons - sorry, can't recall the brand. With those, the image is colored on paper and then transferred onto fabric with an iron. I found the transfer made the colors really soft and not vibrant at all.

Then I worked with regular Crayola crayons and used them to color directly on the fabric. If I wanted to blend colors, I had to put white crayon down first. The excess wax was ironed off with paper towels.

I also have a set of fabric markers (not Sharpie). They have a sharp point on one side and a brush end on the other. They also need to be set with the iron.

It's a lot of fun - makes me feel like a kid.

Mariah 09-26-2010 05:45 PM

This is all new to me. If you were trying to do a really great job on a transfer to a Christmas Quilt with an angel, would you go for the softer look you mentioned 1st, or go with the 2nd--regular crayons?
Mariah