Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   fabric crayons... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-crayons-t66887.html)

Mariah 09-26-2010 12:34 PM

Can anyone refer me to the name brand of fabric crayons that work the best? I am wanting to color an angel to be transferred to a large block for my Christmas Quilt.
I haven't used the crayons yet, so it will be a new experience.
Mariah.

Sadiemae 09-26-2010 12:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't use crayons, I use markers. I don't teach anymore, but I help each year when a first grade class does their projects for the carnival at school. This year I made placemats with each child's art and then the parents purchased them for a reasonable amount. This is an example.

Keep in mind this is colored by 1st grade.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]101611[/ATTACH]

debbieumphress 09-26-2010 12:58 PM

ANy crayons or markers are fine, even the cheapest. I use them all the time with my kids groups. Just be sure to "set " the colors when done. YOu do this by ironing on the opposite side to set colors. I have to pinch wherever I can with so many charity groups. Hope this helps.

Mariah 09-26-2010 01:41 PM

Am I understanding correctly that use just plain markers for fabric? Guess I was afraid the colors would run.
Must have dreamed that there are crayons for fabric. Hope so, as they would probably be expensive.
Thanks so much.
Mariah

Mariah 09-26-2010 01:43 PM

so you just use regular markers for marking on fabric? Guess I was afraid that the colors would run.
Thanks so much.
Mariah

Mariah 09-26-2010 01:44 PM

Glad to know that just the regular are okay to use. Glad also about "setting" the color by ironing on the wrong side.
thanks so much.
Mariah.

ToucanSam 09-26-2010 01:47 PM

I've heard from several other quilters that Prang crayons are best for coloring on fabric.

Hope this helps!

martha jo 09-26-2010 02:08 PM

I took a class a few years ago and we used Crayola brand. The secret is to use a dishtowel or something and press it thoroughly each time you change color and before you shade. It holds up fine. Works best on the fabric that doesn't have a finish that is used for dying but I have also done it on other cotton. Then we embroidered the accents and outline with Pearl cotton #5.

Mariah 09-26-2010 02:11 PM

I have heard the name Prang for crayons. Can you tell me where they can be purchased? We live in a small community and our choices are limited on most anything other than the usual stuff.
Thanks, Mariah

Mariah 09-26-2010 02:15 PM

Tell me if I have this understood correctly. The image is put onto the fabric, then in coloring, anytime you change color, you press it good. Then outline in Pearl Cotton#5.
If you were choosing a picture to transfer to cotton, how would you transfer it so as most of the lines would show?
Would you take a look at a picture I want to use for the center of a quilt? I am thinking I want to enlarge it before transferring.
You can pm me if you can take a look, or my email is;
[email protected].
Thanks, Mariah