Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric Cutting Dies--which ones do you find invaluable? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-cutting-dies-ones-do-you-find-invaluable-t297756.html)

ansew 06-21-2018 11:08 AM

[QUOTE= Are you attracted to specific patterns or do you find yourself cutting the same shape over & over those are the dies you should get first.[/QUOTE]

The answer is "yes"----but I think I would cut certain shapes over and over again as I'm now more into Modern geometric quilts.

Rhonda K 06-21-2018 01:27 PM

Love the applique dies! The snowflakes and holiday dies cut those intricate shapes so perfect. Plus I have the EMB designs for them too. Did you see the cute owl and patterns to make them into animals? Fun!

I just used the small tumbler die to make the flag wall hanging.

rryder 06-21-2018 02:28 PM

I use mine to help me keep control of small scraps. So I use the smaller squares 2, 2.5 and 3" a lot.

Rob

ILoveToQuilt 06-21-2018 03:06 PM

I have a Go Baby and use the 5" square and the "small value set" dies the most. Haven't bought any of the applique dies yet, but I love the flower and stem one (Edyta Sitar). I also see that Accuquilt has a Northwoods die with a moose and bear. I'll have to check this one out.

ansew 06-21-2018 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by rryder (Post 8079992)
I use mine to help me keep control of small scraps. So I use the smaller squares 2, 2.5 and 3" a lot.

Rob

Yes, this is what I'm hoping for as well. Would like to get a 2 1/2"(2" fin) for sure as I have a lot of odd sized small scraps. Also would like to get a charm size 5"(4 1/2" fin). So many options with lots of money!

ansew 06-21-2018 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt (Post 8080012)
I have a Go Baby and use the 5" square and the "small value set" dies the most. Haven't bought any of the applique dies yet, but I love the flower and stem one (Edyta Sitar). I also see that Accuquilt has a Northwoods die with a moose and bear. I'll have to check this one out.

I also could see using the Northwoods die with an adapter for the studio. I will have to check out the "small value set".

peaceandjoy 06-21-2018 05:53 PM

Smaller tumbler, triangles - love having no dog ears to trim!

2.5" strip - rotary cutting is becoming more difficult due to shoulder pain, cutting a lot of strips is easier with the Go! I'm concerned about needing to upgrade to the electric one before long... That's ridiculously expensive!

ansew 06-21-2018 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by RJLinkletter (Post 8079916)
I have a sizzix machine (much better value here in the UK). I use my 2 1/2 strip cutter and my 5” square to cut charm squares the most.

Sizzix dies(for the most part) are less expensive than the Accuquilt dies, but they would need an adapter like the Go dies to use on my Studio. I've also heard that the sizzix dies are not quite as "robust" as the accuquilt dies and some people have actually bent them by overloading them with fabric as they run them through their Studio. This might happen also with the GO dies, so I guess it might be wise to use the adage "less is more" when using dies not specifically made for the Studio.

Austinite 06-22-2018 03:45 AM

I have a Sizzix die cutter and I use my 2.5" strip die the most. Don't know how I lived without it

Lady Diana 06-22-2018 03:55 AM

here I go again, what is a BOB die?