Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fabric Cutting Dies--which ones do you find invaluable?

Fabric Cutting Dies--which ones do you find invaluable?

I found a steal of a deal on an Accuquilt Studio cutter. It came with a 12 1/2" sq die and the 10" block bundle. At about the same time, Accuquilt was having a sale on their studio dies, and I purchased the Take 5 and the 10 1/2" square.

I can already tell this will get expensive, so what dies do you find you use the most? I can see Squares and HST, but I've got my eye on the Chisel and the Fractured Tumbler. I'm not sure that cutting strips would be much faster with the accuquilt---I saw a demonstration of PM Quilting rulers, where he cut 10 layers of fabric(of course he had a titanium blade, but it was 45mm). Which dies do you find you go back to time and time again.

Why I'm so excited about my purchase is that I can use both GO dies as well as Sizzix dies with an adapter. I'm hoping for a sale soon on either site!

I use my 2 1/2 strip cutter the most. Also have a 3 and 5 inch stripe that I use a lot. I have 3" and 2 1/2 " squares that I use a lot. I am looking at stars and hearts next for applique. I have an 8", 10", 5", 6", and 3" square that get used often.
    So much fabric, so little time.

Blog Entries
    i use the tumbler and the orange peel the most
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I'm not the one to ask. I buy a die I need to cut the quilt pattern I am working on at the time. I would say all the strip sizes and hst sizes are the main ones to have.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I love the 5 inch block and the 2.5 inch block. Also the 2.5 inch strip. I seem to use them the most.

With the bundle, the 5 1/2"(5" fin), the 4"(3 1/2")fin), and the 3" (2 1/2" fin) square were included, along with 5" quarter square triangle, 2 1/2" fin HST, 3 3/16 x 4 1/4" parallelogram, 5" finish HST, and 3" x 5 1/2" rectangle. I feel I have a good start.

I use 2 1/2" strips/squares a lot, but have read of people not liking to cut their strips with the die. Those of you who do, convince me why it's better than ruler/rotary cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    I love the 5 inch block and the 2.5 inch block. Also the 2.5 inch strip. I seem to use them the most.
    I have a lot of small odd shape scraps that I think I would benefit with the 2 1/2" block.

Are there dies that you purchased and found that you didn't/don't use them as much as you thought you would?

I have a sizzix machine (much better value here in the UK). I use my 2 1/2 strip cutter and my 5” square to cut charm squares the most.

Blog Entries
    I like the strip dies. I also like the triangles. I can't imagine curved patterns without the use of a die. I'm not that good with rotary cutting them and they fit together so well if they are die cut. I have made several using the Winding Ways BOB. I have also made several quilts with the chisel set (chisel & matching triangle). Having said that, everyone is different. Are you attracted to specific patterns or do you find yourself cutting the same shape over & over those are the dies you should get first.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

[QUOTE= Are you attracted to specific patterns or do you find yourself cutting the same shape over & over those are the dies you should get first.[/QUOTE]

The answer is "yes"----but I think I would cut certain shapes over and over again as I'm now more into Modern geometric quilts.

Love the applique dies! The snowflakes and holiday dies cut those intricate shapes so perfect. Plus I have the EMB designs for them too. Did you see the cute owl and patterns to make them into animals? Fun!

I just used the small tumbler die to make the flag wall hanging.

I use mine to help me keep control of small scraps. So I use the smaller squares 2, 2.5 and 3" a lot.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

I have a Go Baby and use the 5" square and the "small value set" dies the most. Haven't bought any of the applique dies yet, but I love the flower and stem one (Edyta Sitar). I also see that Accuquilt has a Northwoods die with a moose and bear. I'll have to check this one out.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by rryder View Post
    I use mine to help me keep control of small scraps. So I use the smaller squares 2, 2.5 and 3" a lot.

Rob
    Yes, this is what I'm hoping for as well. Would like to get a 2 1/2"(2" fin) for sure as I have a lot of odd sized small scraps. Also would like to get a charm size 5"(4 1/2" fin). So many options with lots of money!

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
    I have a Go Baby and use the 5" square and the "small value set" dies the most. Haven't bought any of the applique dies yet, but I love the flower and stem one (Edyta Sitar). I also see that Accuquilt has a Northwoods die with a moose and bear. I'll have to check this one out.
    I also could see using the Northwoods die with an adapter for the studio. I will have to check out the "small value set".

Smaller tumbler, triangles - love having no dog ears to trim!

2.5" strip - rotary cutting is becoming more difficult due to shoulder pain, cutting a lot of strips is easier with the Go! I'm concerned about needing to upgrade to the electric one before long... That's ridiculously expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by RJLinkletter View Post
    I have a sizzix machine (much better value here in the UK). I use my 2 1/2 strip cutter and my 5” square to cut charm squares the most.
    Sizzix dies(for the most part) are less expensive than the Accuquilt dies, but they would need an adapter like the Go dies to use on my Studio. I've also heard that the sizzix dies are not quite as "robust" as the accuquilt dies and some people have actually bent them by overloading them with fabric as they run them through their Studio. This might happen also with the GO dies, so I guess it might be wise to use the adage "less is more" when using dies not specifically made for the Studio.

I have a Sizzix die cutter and I use my 2.5" strip die the most. Don't know how I lived without it

here I go again, what is a BOB die?

I use my 2 1/2" strip die the most, but my favorite die is the drunkard's path. My advice is to use the wish list on the manufacturer's site to keep a list of the dies you might want and wait for a 50% off sale. I expect a sale in August and one around Christmas.
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
    here I go again, what is a BOB die?
    Sorry, It's an accuquilt acronym for "Block on a Board". It's just a die with all the pieces for a specific block on a single die board.
    RE the comment on the Sizzix & Go dies not being as robust... THe die type dictates the number of layers the die can cut. Even if you use a GO die in a Studio, you can only cut the recommended number of layers for that die type.
    And really, although they advertise the maximum number of layers your die can cut, should you always cut the maximum? Personally, I cut fewer. It's so quick to do an extra run thru.
    If you are going to add sizzix dies to your collection, you need the sizzix adaptor (different from the go adaptor). It's available at Accuquilt's sister site, accucut:
    https://accucut.com/products/grandem...llison-allstar
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Strip dies are my favorites. I can use the dies to crosscut into squares and rectangles. I have sewn strips together and pressed them flat before crosscutting. For example, I have sewn 2 strips together and then crosscut them into 2-patch pieces to sew into 4-patch blocks. I do the same with 3 strips for the 9-patch blocks.

Blog Entries
    BOBS, and strip

I have a GO, not a studio, and I also gave a Sizzix. Both, in my judgement are good products, but Sizzix quilting dies are very limited, unfortunately.......
    i have accumulated many dies...I don't do much iron on applique, so those are not my favs....more dies for piecing blocks. The die does make piecing accurate, altho I do not have trouble rotary cutting accurately...just like the speed of the die cutter method....
    have fun in your new adventure......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast