Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric grain lines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-grain-lines-t228342.html)

Tartan 08-19-2013 07:03 PM

Fabric grain lines

When I first started quilting, grain lines were always stressed when piecing blocks. It seems they are becoming less and less relevant. I just watch Jenny Doan from MSQC cutting 2 triangles from charm squares to make her new The Wedge Quilt. Wouldn't it make piecing the triangles difficult? What is your opinion on bias or not on the straight of the grain piecing?

dunster 08-19-2013 07:21 PM

It's best to have the straight of grain on the edges of the blocks. Jenny does lots of things the quick and dirty way. She is an expert, knows how not to stretch the fabric when she's pressing or sewing - or maybe she never gets around to actually completing those projects, LOL.

Buckeye Rose 08-19-2013 07:26 PM

The first thing I thought of is applique and paper piecing, neither always use pieces on the grain. I would think borders and binding should be on the grain in general, but there are exceptions to both. Since all pieces are either stitched down as in applique, or secured by quilting, I am not concerned by if all pieces are on the grain as there is no stress on each individual piece. I don't think the hard and fast rules of "on the grain" apply much to quilting.....clothes yes, quilts no. But then that is just me and my very humble opinion. If I am way out of line, please inform me why because I want to know.

ghostrider 08-19-2013 08:06 PM

I try to keep the grain lines straight and consistent (lengthwise vs crosswise) because it affects the perceived color of the fabrics. Light reflects differently off warp and weft threads. Piecing on straight of grain is also a whole lot easier and more accurate, imho.

Dalronix 08-19-2013 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 6244383)
... maybe she never gets around to actually completing those projects, LOL.

Not specifically referring to Jenny, but after watching dozens and dozens of videos of the past few I definitely get the feeling that many tute projects are never completed because of the rough and ready cutting and sewing. Look closely at the needle in some of them and "what's a 1/4 margin among friends?" :)

(Not being ungrateful here: I can't tell you how much I appreciate all those videos. I would never have got my 1 1/2 first attempts to the stage I have without them.)

sandy l 08-20-2013 03:23 AM

I try to avoid bias piecing when ever possible unless it's PP. Straight of grain just easier to use.

bearisgray 08-20-2013 09:00 AM

I like the grainlines in a finished block to be perpendicular or parallel with the outside edges of the block.

Exception: I like to use bias bindings.

Skittl1321 08-20-2013 09:06 AM

I don't bother with paying attention to grainlines.

ube quilting 08-21-2013 02:47 PM

I think every one should take a small project that has HST or bias cuts of some kind and just practice handling the material. The only way to learn to handle bias cuts is to use them repeatedly.

Practice pressing them, cutting them, sewing and pressing seams.

One of the best days learning!
peace

tessagin 08-21-2013 02:53 PM

if I have material with a stripes sew to speak, that determines how I cut. I try to keep track of where the selvedge edge was. Also depends on the pattern.