Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-moratorium-t79756.html)

quiltinghere 11-30-2010 02:29 PM

Pictures of finished projects will help too.

featherweight 11-30-2010 02:30 PM

Not me, I don't ever want to not buy fabric when I see something I like. That is what quilting is all about!!!

Yarn or Fabric 11-30-2010 02:32 PM

I am actually going to be downsizing and promised myself to not buy much next year. I really need to get a handle on the fabric overage I have going on - massive fabric overage to say the least. I might actually also do a machine downsizing too. I haven't gotten brave enough to try my quilting frame, 15" machine and robotic quilting carriage so I might be downsizing that as well.. we will see.... I am still trying to muster the strength to figure out how to use that darn thing.

But for the fabric downsizing... I am seriously considering it. I might actually need to buy blender materials since I own mostly prints...

KiwiQuilter 11-30-2010 02:34 PM

Rebecca found your thread. Just reading it now.

I know it's a bit of a catch 22.

Shopping does keep the industry going (including the postal service).

Not shopping, for personal reasons, can have its own rewards depending on what the reasons are.

klgreene 11-30-2010 02:38 PM

That was going to be my New Years resolution. I have purchased so much fabric in the last two months, all good prices, companies closing, great sales, Black Friday, Cyber Monday. I have 4 orders that still need to come in. So I'm with you, just need to use all the beautiful fabric I have. The only acception is if someone wanted me to make something special for them. But I don't think that will happen. I'm going to try to make miniatures, so that means, I have fabric for the rest of my life right not.

MistyMarie 11-30-2010 02:43 PM

I think I need to do this. I just have way too much fabric. I know, I know... someone is going to say that one can never have too much fabric. Well, I do. I also have too many UFOs. So, I will definitely join in on this.

KiwiQuilter 11-30-2010 02:52 PM

For those that are interested but want to tweak the "rules/guidelines" for themselves that's okay.

If you can only do 1, 2 or 3 months - that's fine.

If you want to commit, but still have the ability to buy on sales. Then determine what is a really good sale, and add that to your "rules/guidelines" list. A good sale for someone, might be 50% off, and another person might be anything less than $5 a yard.

Great to see the interest (on both sides).

jrhboxers 11-30-2010 03:02 PM

I would but I have some lovely fabrics coming in in April from the Bouquet Gallery "Prettist Florals of 2011" on pre-order. Now if that doesn't count, then maybe.

KiwiQuilter 11-30-2010 03:05 PM

Good news - pre-orders don't count :)

I put in for a pre-order in early November, it won't get here until February.

Jane - love your boxer by the way. My 2 dogs are both rescue dogs too (not boxers though).

grann of 6 11-30-2010 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by KiwiQuilter
Does anyone want to join me on a fabric moratorium.

What I'm thinking about is this...

* no fabric purchases to start a new quilt top
* from now until 1 November 2011

What you can buy is this - items to finish an existing quilt project (either WIP or UFO):

* batting
* backing or binding fabric
* fabric (if nothing in your stash will work)
* thread or notions

Anyone else interested in joining me?

Nope, sorry I am already on a spending diet. I know that I would never be able to last that long. I am already having problems with the spending diet. And I know that as soon as I see some really cool fabric I will have to buy it. Good Luck though :roll: :lol: :thumbup: