Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric Prices Have Gone UP! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-prices-have-gone-up-t52380.html)

peyton 07-02-2010 05:30 PM

buying fabric from the US is generally half the price (or less!!) of buying in Australia

I'd buy on-line more if I had $$ all at once

my biggest problem is how to look for the stores that have what I want (LOTS!! of Kaffe Fassett at the moment)

just_the_scraps_m'am 07-02-2010 05:37 PM

if you search kaffe fassett fabric on "ebay's search" there are more than 1,000 items available there!

Originally Posted by peyton
buying fabric from the US is generally half the price (or less!!) of buying in Australia

I'd buy on-line more if I had $$ all at once

my biggest problem is how to look for the stores that have what I want (LOTS!! of Kaffe Fassett at the moment)

NikkiLu 07-02-2010 05:55 PM

Hancocks of Paducah had Kaffee's fabric there this past weekend - but I did not notice the prices - sorry - my DH was with me and his patience was just about gone.

BarbZ 07-02-2010 06:14 PM

I saw about an half hour ago a forum on prices going up to 14.00 a yd soon. Is that in the U.S; does anyon know?

QKO 07-02-2010 06:55 PM

We ship lots of our orders to Australia, for that very reason. Even with shipping it's cheaper to order from the USA.

Re: Fabric prices going up; due to the fact that China has cornered the greige goods market and are now raising prices, coupled with cotton crop failures in several key growing regions, fabric prices are going to go up all over the world. We've already been hit with major increases and are told they're far from being over.

On the other hand, it's still cheaper, and lasts a lot longer, than golf. :-)

CarrieAnne 07-02-2010 06:58 PM

Wow, I knew they were going up, but you guys sure have to pay alot!

KiwiQuilter 07-02-2010 07:29 PM

I went to the LQS yesterday. The least expensive fabric (Moda solids) was listed at $18 (per metre). The most expensive fabric in the store was $35 (per metre). I think that was the Kaffe Fasset(sp?) line.

Batting ranged from $28 (pm for synthetic) through to $54 (pm for wool).

The store owner mentioned increasing prices are on there way.

Now I know money is all relative. If you earn a lot then it's not a big deal (I suppose), but like many of you with fixed lower incomes - this really makes a major impact. I figure that rather than buying 1 metre of fabric at $35 - I could buy at least a dozen loaves of bread. Somethings just way out of kilter here... and then the fabric shrinks when you wash it. The fabric I bought yesterday lost 6" after washing!

I think even online stores might suffer through these increases - as the likely costs are just too much for many people to absorb.

Aussie Quilter 07-02-2010 10:12 PM

Was looking for solid colours for backgrounds, Moda solids were $28 per metre. How much do you pay over there?

Aussie Quilter 07-02-2010 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Yikes!!
Have you checked Ebay???
Just a thought.

Haven't done that - yet. I'm a bit wary of the quality I'd receive. Might pay to have a look though. Thanks.

littlehud 07-03-2010 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by ktbb
as we get older we may have to make deals with folks across the border in Canada, we send them fabric and they send us our medicines...

That is so funny.