Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric Prices Have Gone UP! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-prices-have-gone-up-t52380.html)

Aussie Quilter 07-02-2010 12:58 AM

Went into town today, and decided to check out a new quilt shop. There were a few bolts at $10, but the quality was not great. The rest of the fabric was at least $25 per metre. The FQ's were $7 EACH, and fat eighths were $3.50. Looks like they charge 75¢ for cutting a FQ. Total rip off.

The notions area was nothing to write home about either. Couldn't find one thing I was looking for. I ended up buying 2 batik FQ's, but I won't be going back again that is for sure. And they wonder why people buy on-line from the US.

raptureready 07-02-2010 03:18 AM

WOW and I think it's bad if fats are $2.75!! Several years ago I met a lady from Australia in Urbana, Il. She was buying yards and yards and yards of fabric. She said that she was leaving all her clothes here except for one outfit and filling her suitcases with fabric to take home because the prices were so much better here. She said that in a year of two when she came back that her clothes would already be here so she wouldn't even have to pack--she'd just bring empty suitcases and fill them with fabric again. She was visiting a friend here and said that her friend was giving her space in a dresser to store her clothing till she got back.

quiltilicious 07-02-2010 03:46 AM

Wow. I'd think it would be the opposite since all the weaving mills are now in China and Indonesia which is physically closer to you than it is to the US.

woody 07-02-2010 04:32 AM

My LQS was the same, some fabrics as high as $28-00 a metre.

I am still waiting for Hancock's of Paducah to have a free shipping offer, they were doing them about every 3 months but there hasn't been one since February.

Would anyone have a clue if there is one likely to come up soon?

sueisallaboutquilts 07-02-2010 05:06 AM

Yikes!!
Have you checked Ebay???
Just a thought.

sahm4605 07-02-2010 05:12 AM

Pick me up off the floor!!!, 25 a meter, that is outrageous. I would think that it would be cheaper to get the fabric there than here. but that is just me. I think that these places are going to end up going under.

Fiber Artist 07-02-2010 11:43 AM

I Love the U.S.A.!!!!!!!!!

mzsooz 07-02-2010 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
Pick me up off the floor!!!, 25 a meter, that is outrageous. I would think that it would be cheaper to get the fabric there than here. but that is just me. I think that these places are going to end up going under.

hmmmm...quilt stores down under going under!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

mlaceruby 07-02-2010 11:49 AM

I sent a fabric order of kona cotton to Australia for a woman a few months ago. Shipping was $48 which I thought was outrageous but as I sent 15 yds of fabric
I quess she got a deal!
and we complain about $10/yd

ktbb 07-02-2010 05:04 PM

as we get older we may have to make deals with folks across the border in Canada, we send them fabric and they send us our medicines...