Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric Quality? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-quality-t225783.html)

homecaregiver 07-16-2013 04:00 AM

I agree with the fact that a lot of us quilter's have to watch our pennies and we have to shop for the best we can afford. I shop JoAnns and Walmart. I also shop the thrift stores, garage sales, consignment shops etc and find wonderful sales and bargains for great fabrics that have been donated. Thanks
Pat

Dodie 07-16-2013 04:18 AM

the only difference I see with Joann fabrics is that they don't carry big name designer fabric such as Michael Miller and such but their fabric is good I use it with no problems and it usually does not shrink or bleed as much either remember when you buy big name you also pay for the name I also like connecting threads 5.96 a yard

katesnanna 07-16-2013 04:36 AM

I remember my first quilt teacher saying "don't just stick to craft fabrics, check out other fabrics as well". Also recall Mary Ellen Hopkins saying you can use whatever you want provided you are prepared to take the time to make it suitable for your quilt. She referred to a "wibbly wobbly" fabric (her words) she loved to use but it had to be stabilized first.
I know there are quilters who look down their noses at anything that isn't from the LQS but if they think of early American quilting they will remember the ladies used whatever was available for everyday quilts. I make my quilts to be used and even worn out. If one wears out from being loved I'll gladly make another for that person. Mistreat a quilt I've given and you are not likely to get another.
Following on what Joellyn said:- We all have our own opinions.

twinkie 07-16-2013 05:00 AM

I agree with your answer. I have found that you can find good quality fabric at any store. I worked in the fabric department at Wal Mart. I personally have found some fabric of excellant quality there. Just go to the store and check it out.

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 6177047)
we really are not supposed to (post negative comments) about specific stores & their products- the best way to tell is visit the store, handle the fabric- see if it's one you like- or one you find to be *sub-standard* --- some people can only afford to buy fabric at walmart- or joannes with coupons- that should not mean they should not quilt- use the best you can afford and be happy- there are certainly people who believe any fabric from a 'big-box-store' is poor quality- that's just some opinions...

Carol34446 07-16-2013 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by marcycn (Post 6178795)
"If I end up with something I really can't stand, I plan to try out some blocks that are beyond my skill set, quilt it with designs that are too hard for me and take it out to the pet shelter. It would be good practice for me and the animals won't care if my points miss by a mile and my feathers look like spaghetti."

Now that's an idea I can wrap my head around! Thanks for the suggestion. :=)

Hi Marcycn,
Gosh, I live in Homosassa, how cool is that. Are those your youngesters? How cute they are.
Carol

MarleneC 07-16-2013 10:11 AM

We have a quilt shop in our small town who used to tell me that their fabric was better as it was made in the US but my hubby decided to look at the bolts and lo and behold everything he checked was made overseas. Buy what you like and what you can afford. Why take the fun out of doing something you like to do because of the price of fabrics?

kydeb 07-16-2013 12:19 PM

I've used Joann's version of "Minky" with great success as backing for kids' quilts!!