Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric Storage Opinions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-storage-opinions-t113583.html)

BETTY62 04-04-2011 06:48 PM

I like the adjustable wood shelves. Easier to keep things stright.

Lori S 04-04-2011 06:53 PM

If you do wire.. have plexiglass cut to cover the wire so.. stuff will not fall through and your fabrics will lay as flat as possible.
Wood can stain the fabrics ... so make sure its a polyurethane finish, that has cured for several days before any real volume of fabric is placed on it.

cathyvv 04-04-2011 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
I personally don't care for the wire shelves. My husband insisted on them for the laundry room & garage. Guess what? Things fall thru them, things don't set squarely unless you set them on the wires just right. It is a constant balancing act. I can't wait until mine wear out & I can replace them with wood shelves.

Don't wait for them to wear out. Buy some boards, have them cut to size and put them over the wire.

I don't like wire, either. Can you tell?

cathyvv 04-04-2011 07:14 PM

Suggest putting at least one cedar board in the closet - Cedar helps repel bugs - and that can't be bad for fabric.

TonnieLoree 04-04-2011 07:18 PM

I would not do wire, nor real wood. They make a laminate shelving that you can purchase in various lengths. You can get it in faux (fake) wood grain if you want that "look" or you can buy it in white for a cleaner finish. Both are priced about the same. I just bought two pieces of the "wood grained" that were 8 x 24 and they were $4.95 each. They do come in wider and longer pieces, naturally the prices increase with the size. Unfortunately, this is not going for fabric storage, it is additional shelving in a book case. Lucky you for a crafty Hubby!

TonnieLoree 04-04-2011 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
If you do wire.. have plexiglass cut to cover the wire so.. stuff will not fall through and your fabrics will lay as flat as possible.
Wood can stain the fabrics ... so make sure its a polyurethane finish, that has cured for several days before any real volume of fabric is placed on it.

That just seems like doubling the expense, but I'm a cheapskate, or so I've been told. :lol:

sewwhat85 04-04-2011 07:33 PM

i like the white shelving (wood)

connie_1936 04-04-2011 07:43 PM

you can buy shelving at home depot that is already painted. works great. they'll cut it to size for you

Joanie2 04-04-2011 07:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by SuziC
My Dh is redoing a closet in a spare bedroom for me to store all my sewing things. My question is: I can design it any way i choose but am unsure what kind of shelving to put in. Would you use the white wire shelves or wood? Or maybe both? I need to keep the cost at a minimum but i want to do it right the first time. Any advise would be appreciated greatly!!

My son helped turn my walk-in closet into a fabulous storage space. The shelves came from IKEA and they work fabulously for me. Hope my photos help you to decide.

amyjo 04-04-2011 08:17 PM

WHOA!!! first words out of my mouth. Looks like a store. I guess if mine was all out in the open and folded like that I would have one too. Can't wit til DD from WY comes home to help me this spring sometime. Pretty fabrics.