Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric Storage Opinions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-storage-opinions-t113583.html)

SuziC 04-04-2011 04:42 PM

My Dh is redoing a closet in a spare bedroom for me to store all my sewing things. My question is: I can design it any way i choose but am unsure what kind of shelving to put in. Would you use the white wire shelves or wood? Or maybe both? I need to keep the cost at a minimum but i want to do it right the first time. Any advise would be appreciated greatly!!

M.I.Late 04-04-2011 04:47 PM

No. 1 thing that comes to mind for me is keep it flexible. I would definitely start with adjustable shelves. Whether they're wood or wire. Adjustable is a must have for me.

M.I.Late 04-04-2011 04:47 PM

No. 1 thing that comes to mind for me is keep it flexible. I would definitely start with adjustable shelves. Whether they're wood or wire. Adjustable is a must have for me.

M.I.Late 04-04-2011 04:48 PM

QuiltnCowgirl 04-04-2011 05:00 PM

I personally don't care for the wire shelves. My husband insisted on them for the laundry room & garage. Guess what? Things fall thru them, things don't set squarely unless you set them on the wires just right. It is a constant balancing act. I can't wait until mine wear out & I can replace them with wood shelves.

BluegrassGurl 04-04-2011 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
I personally don't care for the wire shelves. My husband insisted on them for the laundry room & garage. Guess what? Things fall thru them, things don't set squarely unless you set them on the wires just right. It is a constant balancing act. I can't wait until mine wear out & I can replace them with wood shelves.

I concur! I would not use the wire shelves. Definitely wood. Good luck!

greenini 04-04-2011 05:38 PM

Hmm, for fabric yardage, I like the wire shelves. We did all the closets in the condo in '92 when we moved in and long before I became a quilter. We even use an Elfa stack next to the washer dryer unit as our "linen closet" because the washer/dryer takes up almost all of the space that used to be the linen closet. For drawers, they make liners to keep stuff from falling thru, but I haven't had that problem in the closet shelves, but again I store stuff on those shelves that isn't going to fall thru!

fabric_fancy 04-04-2011 05:41 PM

ditto, no wire.

incoming2me 04-04-2011 05:52 PM

Adjustable shelving definitely.
Once you figure out how you want to fold/wrap your fabrics you can adjust the shelving accordingly to maximize space.
Wire shelving isn't so bad if you are using containers, or have some sort of acid-free shelf lining.

bj 04-04-2011 06:46 PM

One thing to think about also...I've heard that some wooden shelving can stain fabric. You might have to line them with something before you put your fabric on them.