Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric for yo yo quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-yo-yo-quilt-t68206.html)

Bottle Blonde 10-04-2010 07:05 AM

I don't have any experience using Batik fabrics ---- are they difficult to use for hand piecing projects? I'm thinking about making a yo-yo quilt with Batiks, but my hands and wrists tire and get sore easily. I know many board members use Batiks very often so I'm looking for a little advice. Thanks so much!

dglvr 10-04-2010 07:11 AM

I love batiks. I don't do much hand work other than the bindings. I usually won't use them on the binding though because they are a bit tougher to hand sew.
Just my opinion. :thumbup:

DebraK 10-04-2010 07:55 AM

They work just fine for yo=yos.

ckcowl 10-04-2010 08:57 AM

a new sharp needle is best to have an enjoyable experience. batik's have a tighter weave than many quilting fabrics, which means it's a little more difficult to hand stitch them but if you are using a good sharp needle you won't have any problems. batiks are great to work with and hold creases for finger pressing. very nice fabric to work with.

sueisallaboutquilts 10-04-2010 09:42 AM

Bottleblonde, I bought those Clover yo-yo makers and I love them!! Mine look a lot nicer than the ones I made before.
OOPS- sorry, I really didn't answer your question. I haven't used batiks for them so I don't know

Bottle Blonde 10-04-2010 09:50 AM

I just bought a Clover yo-yo maker, too, and can't wait to use it! I thought using Batik fabric would make a beautiful yo-yo quilt, but wanted a little advice before investing in a lot of fabric. I guess I should just pick up a few different quarter yards and see how I like it......and if my hands can take it.....getting older is very .... well, it just plain stinks sometimes. I've been resistant to buying the support "glove" but I think it needs to go on my next shopping list. lol

no1jan 10-04-2010 10:11 AM

I've been told that John James Big Eye Golden Glide needles are wonderful to work with batiks. From what I heard from experienced hand quilters is they just glide through the fabric like butter. Your local quilt shop should have them or order them for you.

I just had my order come in on Saturday, but haven't given them a try yet.

I bet the batiks would look beautiful in a yo-yo quilt!

Good luck,

stitchinbee 10-04-2010 01:05 PM

I am so Loving my yo-yo maker by Clover. I bought the extra large, then loved it so much, I purchased a new Jumbo one on ebay! Can't wait to get it. Yay! :) Watched a video on youtube on the different styles of yo-yo makers, and I think I will stick with the circles. :D

nanna 10-04-2010 05:41 PM

Get the support glove, you won't be sorry. Too bad we have to 'fall apart' before we really have time to quilt and craft. But us quilters will find a way. Use all the helpful supplies we can get.

trish b 10-04-2010 05:57 PM

I love batics too. They work out fine for YoYO's especially with new sharp needles. Enjoy. And yes, our hands give out way too soon. I believe it to be a good choice to use a support glove.