Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Fabric for yo yo quilt

I don't have any experience using Batik fabrics ---- are they difficult to use for hand piecing projects? I'm thinking about making a yo-yo quilt with Batiks, but my hands and wrists tire and get sore easily. I know many board members use Batiks very often so I'm looking for a little advice. Thanks so much!

I love batiks. I don't do much hand work other than the bindings. I usually won't use them on the binding though because they are a bit tougher to hand sew.
    Just my opinion. :thumbup:

They work just fine for yo=yos.

Blog Entries
    a new sharp needle is best to have an enjoyable experience. batik's have a tighter weave than many quilting fabrics, which means it's a little more difficult to hand stitch them but if you are using a good sharp needle you won't have any problems. batiks are great to work with and hold creases for finger pressing. very nice fabric to work with.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Bottleblonde, I bought those Clover yo-yo makers and I love them!! Mine look a lot nicer than the ones I made before.
    OOPS- sorry, I really didn't answer your question. I haven't used batiks for them so I don't know

I just bought a Clover yo-yo maker, too, and can't wait to use it! I thought using Batik fabric would make a beautiful yo-yo quilt, but wanted a little advice before investing in a lot of fabric. I guess I should just pick up a few different quarter yards and see how I like it......and if my hands can take it.....getting older is very .... well, it just plain stinks sometimes. I've been resistant to buying the support "glove" but I think it needs to go on my next shopping list. lol

I've been told that John James Big Eye Golden Glide needles are wonderful to work with batiks. From what I heard from experienced hand quilters is they just glide through the fabric like butter. Your local quilt shop should have them or order them for you.

I just had my order come in on Saturday, but haven't given them a try yet.

I bet the batiks would look beautiful in a yo-yo quilt!

Good luck,

I am so Loving my yo-yo maker by Clover. I bought the extra large, then loved it so much, I purchased a new Jumbo one on ebay! Can't wait to get it. Yay! :) Watched a video on youtube on the different styles of yo-yo makers, and I think I will stick with the circles. :D

Get the support glove, you won't be sorry. Too bad we have to 'fall apart' before we really have time to quilt and craft. But us quilters will find a way. Use all the helpful supplies we can get.

I love batics too. They work out fine for YoYO's especially with new sharp needles. Enjoy. And yes, our hands give out way too soon. I believe it to be a good choice to use a support glove.