Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Farmer's wife quilt sampler (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/farmers-wife-quilt-sampler-t275685.html)

schoolteacher 02-13-2016 06:56 AM

Farmer's wife quilt sampler

I am contemplating making a farmer's wife quilt. I see that there is a book by Lauri G. Hind. Is this the "go to book" that I should be getting? Is there any other book that I should be getting that would be better? Those of you who have made the blocks please give any suggestions or helpful hints. I am trying to decide if this project is above my ability before I get started. I have made many quilts and would consider myself an average quilter. Thanks so much for any help.

ManiacQuilter2 02-13-2016 07:12 AM

I hope you will find an answer. All those 6" blocks take a lot of time and patience. Good luck.

luvspaper 02-13-2016 07:30 AM

I got the 1930s one for Christmas and hope to start it once I decide a color path..... Most blocks look pretty simple if you can follow the instructions given. You could always just do some of them and mix them with solid blocks.

And I think there are blogs and things where people have done quilt-a-longs if you get stuck

Boston1954 02-13-2016 07:35 AM

I wonder if you could go to quilterscache or some other site and just find some blocks the size you want and do a few. That would help you see if you want to get into a project that size. I just looked at a few pictures and most of the quilts I saw had over a hundred blocks.

QuiltnNan 02-13-2016 07:50 AM

there is a farmers wife quilt along here on the QB... you might get some good information from this thread http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...g-t266390.html
there are many subsequent threads that the OP started so the original doesn't get too bit.

Doggramma 02-13-2016 07:52 AM

I used the Hind book you mention. I have the older book. There's a newer book but the blocks aren't necessarily the same as the older book. The blocks are quite fun to do. Most aren't too difficult, but the pieces are quite small on some. I didn't make all the blocks though, so it may get tedious to do all of them.

quiltsRfun 02-13-2016 10:23 AM

I have EQ7 and got the book with the CD. I was able to re-size the blocks to something a little more manageable for me. This is my hand sewing project. I'm not doing all of them. Some are not my taste, some I don't want to tackle. When I think I have enough I'll put them together in a quilt of whatever size it turns out to be.

Kitsie 02-13-2016 11:57 AM

I googled F W Q groups and there are a few, one big one at Yahoo. Maybe try looking at some of those or "Farmer's Wife Quilt Sampler tutorials". Good luck!

oksewglad 02-13-2016 05:21 PM

The first FWS book has 6" blocks...I'm still working on mine...

The FWS Pony Club book has 8" blocks...even though the blocks are bigger they aren't necessarily easier as several are 9P based and 8" doesn't play nice divided in thirds...that being said templates and paper piecing is a better way to go than rotary cutting....I'm still working on mine...

The FWS 30's are also 6" blocks...there is a sew along on the board right now as QuiltnNan mentioned...I follow it, but decided I need to finish the first two instead so am not making it...it's such fun to see how different the blocks look thorough the various fabric choices..

Go to Home, Blocks of the month to find the threads for the FWS 30's Quilt along....as they are in week 24 you should be able to get an idea of the complexity of the blocks...

Hope this helps...

Blue Bell 02-13-2016 06:05 PM

I made 50 blocks of the FWS but have yet to sew them into a quilt. I chose the easier blocks and they were fun to make. Have you seen the Farm Girl Vintage book by Lori Holt? You can make either 6 or 12 inch blocks. I made the 6 inch and the blocks, 48, are all made, need to sew them into a quilt. I enjoyed doing them and the instructions were excellent.