Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 16 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

Hello and Welcome,

Come & join the new Farmers Wife 30's Sampler Quiltalong that will be starting August 4th, 2015.

Laurie Aaron Hird is the author writing the "Inspiring letters from farm women of the Great Depression and 99 quilt blocks that honor them".

All levels of experience sewer/quilters are welcome. All advice and support given is appreciated and will be graciously received.

There is no sign up required. Do these blocks at your own pace. There are no quilt police here.

We will be doing 2 blocks a week in alphabetical order until all the blocks are done.

Most Importantly you need to have the book. The book comes with a cd that contains paperpiecing patterns, rotary cutting instructions, templates for hand piecing.

The books are available at Amazon.com & Fons & Porter.com

Mark your calendars... Startup is Tuesday, August 4th, 2015 and weekly on Tuesday thereafter.

We will be using this thread for all communication until we start. To avoid any confusion please do not post any new threads. Use the above titled thread.

This is the place and time to ask any questions. If I'm not available for for any reason I'm sure there will be someone on the board qualified to answer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Everyone, Laurie Aaron Hird has graciously given me permission to post some excerpts of the introduction, letters and a photo of the book the FWS 30's Sampler Quilt book.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-17-2015 at 03:24 PM. Reason: add information per member

Blog Entries
    And you are off..Will be watching from the sidelines while working on the other FW quilts..
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

that's okay OK..You can be our coach on the sidelines...

Perfect timing! I just ordered the book from Amazon and it arrived a few days ago. I've already made Addie and Aimee to try out the patterns and I think they're going to be fun. I've got quite a bit of 30's fabric, but I need to shop for coordinating background fabric.

So glad to have you aboard Katy..I had to get the solid colored fabric too...I have a lot of odds & ends to use with my 30's & 40's fabric..

Honchey--This will be lots of fun. I have more than half of the paper pieced patterns printed and fabrics chosen. I'll be starting to cut fabrics this week.

Honchey -- Did you order solid fat quarters or did you get a selection from your LQS?

Oooops. my typed message disappeared! trying again.

Since June is the All Iowa Quilt Shop Hop, I am seriously searching out reproduced fabrics of the 1930s and showing off my autographed copy of the book. I have printed off all blocks, templates, paper piecing and rotary instructions putting all the info in a protective 'sleeve' in ABC order. Now going back through and pasting the templates on to light cardboard and coloring the little 'block' with the correct colors. Found a lot of 1930s fabric in the Amana Colonies and Satin Stitches in Columbia, Mo. One more day scheduled the 24th of June to see 6 more Iowa Shops.

Meanwhile, I am tring to finish UFO projects without adding new projects, but not successful on that idea. Dh wanted a fox fabric, QS at Pella, Iowa, had one that I had to order...I think the group pressured me a bit on that one. That's my story and I am sticking to it. Third time around; maybe I can finish this one too but it will be one block at a time. Hope we can meet in the virtuall RV again as well.

Quote Originally Posted by katybob View Post
    Honchey -- Did you order solid fat quarters or did you get a selection from your LQS?
    I had some Kona solids and I purchased some from the LQS.. I purchased 1/4 yard pieces. I know I'll have to get more but for now I'm okay with what I have..

If you look real close at the block photos you"ll see some marbled solids too!
    Last edited by Honchey; 06-14-2015 at 05:24 PM.

Blog Entries
    I'm tempted to give this a try, but I'm a bit intimidated. I don't do paper piecing and rarely sew by hand (other than bindings)--would this be doable for me?
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

Yes, Yes, Yes. There are 3 different ways the book has to do these blocks...Rotary cutting and then sewing the pieces together.. traditionally hand piecing them and then paper piecing them. first I would have you read up on paper piecing and do a few very simple blocks.. there are template pattern pieces for each block in the book that you can download and sew the block that way. ..
    A lot of us were newbies as far as pping goes when we did the first FWS quiltalong. once you get the hang of it, it becomes easier to do.. PPing a block gives the block for the most part perfect points and intersections.. There are quite a few websites that have free tutorials for pping.. Get the book, the 99 letters are worth the read by itself..
    help is always available here on the board as well as on this new journey. Don't be afraid to try..
    Last edited by Honchey; 06-14-2015 at 06:33 PM.

It is doable with this group; I have learned so much from this group. Although some of us hate the 'Y' seams, with this group you can choose to do an easier pattern and we all cheer each other onward. Ask any question you like too, and someone with answer it with a smile

Blog Entries
    *deep breath* Okay--I ordered the book. Thanks for the encouragement.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

Angelina, You won't regret it !

Evy
    Tempting. I have had the book for months and gave up on it. The templates just don't seem to work for so many blocks. I found similar if not exact patterns on line with good instructions and made a few but to me at least it was more frustrating than challenging! May have to give it a go again with this group.

dd
    Are the blocks different from the original Farmer's Wife quilts? I have the original book and haven't used it yet.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Yes, dd, this is a different book. With Honchey and ohters who are very helpful, you may/can find this one is doable.

dd
    Darn, I was hoping to use the book I had.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Count me in! Is this quilt mostly solid fabrics?

Hi, Sewcheryl -- Judging from the pictures in the book, not counting the white sashing, it looks like there are about equal amounts of solid and 30's fabric.

This one is colorful and delightful...but you can use any fabric you choose to use. Its scrappy, so us who have done Laurie's quilt books before are buying fat quarters in solids and 1930 print fabrics...but you can use any dark, medium or light colors that you favor. Or choose as you go along. The pace is just two 6 inch blocks per week, so its very doable.

I am in!! I am super excited to start this quilt along from the very beginning!!!! One of my besties is coming this week from Florida so the 3 of us are starting to cut fabric. Yay!!!

I am so happy to see all of you being so excited to come along on the ride..We will have lots of fun...H.

Looking forward to another ride with yinz! I'm going to use my stash so this one will coordinate with the other two FWS quilts we did so it will be very scrappy. I promise not to whine about the y-seams--I'm just NOT doing them LOL! When I first started quilting one of the first quilts I did was a Tumbling Blocks--I swore I'd never do another y-seam after that.
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

I have my book, so am in on this quilt too.

Angelina - I have done the previous two Farmer's Wife quilts with this group. I usually piece my blocks. I am not fond of paper piecing, so usually use the templates and the blocks come out just fine.
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Page 1 of 16 1 2 11 ... LastLast