Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fast forward twenty years (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fast-forward-twenty-years-t250224.html)

deedum 07-15-2014 05:13 PM

Fast forward twenty years

I can't but help but wonder where the quilt industry will be in 20 plus years. I am not sure how many young people even sew on a button these days. Am I missing something somewhere on this? Will the quilting industry be anywhere near what it is now? I

Pam S 07-15-2014 05:32 PM

It may not keep up the pace it's going at today but there are young quilters out there. My 19yo DD is quilting and belongs to an on-line quilt group of like-aged young women so there's a new generation of quilters out there. Her group is doing a block of the month right now, very traditional blocks but they also embrace modern and art quilts. I'm so happy to see the young people interested. As for young people not even knowing how to sew on a button or do small repairs, I know a lot of people my age that can't do that either and have no desire to learn - they just buy new clothes (or ask somebody like us to fix it for them!)

suern3 07-15-2014 05:39 PM

I know that 20 years ago I was certainly not quilting or sewing anything, but at some point I began to admire quilts and especially hand quilting. Probably after my mother had retired and began making a few quilts. She made hers with hand piecing and hand quilting which is probably how she learned it as a young woman. I was able to buy a few beautiful old quilts then when I was still working. Once I retired, I took a quilting class and it went from there. So my point is we don't know for sure when someone may catch the quilting bug, but I wouldn't count it out. Looking online at all the blogs, etc. it seems there are quite a few young women who enjoy the "sewing arts". Neither of my daughters sew at all but the both love my quilts and I have one DGD who loves fabric. We usually make something when we are together. So I'm hoping for the best and I think there will always be those who love creating with fabric!

KwiltyKahy 07-15-2014 05:46 PM

I have been encouraged in the last few years hearing about young people asking for sewing machines for Christmas presents. I wonder if Project Runway doesn't figure in that somewhere.
My granddaughter and her cousin are learning to sew. They started this without any prompting from me. BUT, now I have someone to leave my stash to.!!!!
I think quilting will go on and on. There will always be people who love creating and fabric.

nanna-up-north 07-15-2014 05:46 PM

When I first started quilting, it appeared that it was a dying craft. But since that time, quilting interest has increased by leaps and bounds. I don't see any reason for it to slow down. I have tons of people asking me where they can take sewing classes for clothing as well as quilting. They are willing to pay for classes. That says that there is still interest. I know plenty of people that can't sew on a button as well. But I see people thinking of sewing and quilting as an art instead of thinking only poor people want to sew and quilt. That's an improvement as far as I can tell.

dunster 07-15-2014 06:02 PM

I didn't start quilting until after I had been retired for 5 years. I did know how to sew on a button, but seldom did so. (And it's still not a priority for me.) I think many of us don't have much time for a creative outlet while we're working fulltime.

Butterfli19 07-15-2014 06:09 PM

Well, unless the USA decides to go naked someone will be sewing something somewhere. They still teach home ec in the high school near me, sewing is part of it and both my kids sewed an article of clothing, a stuffed animal, and a hat. My son sewed for a bit when he was younger, but that was it. I'm sure they could sew on buttons if they need to.

If I mention I sew, most people will hoist an eyebrow and say, "really? you sew?". Like, yeah, I sew. It's not hard, one seam at a time, sheesh. lol

Jeanne S 07-15-2014 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 6803070)
I didn't start quilting until after I had been retired for 5 years. I did know how to sew on a button, but seldom did so. (And it's still not a priority for me.) I think many of us don't have much time for a creative outlet while we're working fulltime.

This is the same for me. I never considered quilting until our daughter was pregnant with our first grandchild. As for the future, at 63 I am by far one of the oldest members in the local modern quilt guild--most of them are in thir late 30's to early 50's, so there is interest in the next generation or two at least

deedum 07-15-2014 06:47 PM

Well this makes me feel better. I know how busy young people are and working full time and families. I just hope the interest continues. I too didn't start quilting til 6 years ago, so who am I to say. I do wonder though.

Anniedeb 07-15-2014 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S (Post 6803083)
This is the same for me. I never considered quilting until our daughter was pregnant with our first grandchild. As for the future, at 63 I am by far one of the oldest members in the local modern quilt guild--most of them are in thir late 30's to early 50's, so there is interest in the next generation or two at least

Same for me. I quilted "pre kids" a bit, but gave it up for years...retired 5 years ago, and picked it up again. I suspect there's many of us "late bloomers" out there!!