Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fast forward twenty years (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fast-forward-twenty-years-t250224.html)

justflyingin 07-16-2014 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by SuzieQuilts (Post 6803379)
It is an artistic outlet for creative people, so I think it will be just as popular, or more so, it may go in a different direction if new technology appears. Look what the computer did for machine embroidery, and look how popular long arm machines are compared to twenty years ago.

I agree. 20 years ago, who even owned a long arm? Now, it seems that every fifth quilter has one.

lfletcher 07-16-2014 04:09 AM

I actually know quite a few younger people quilting. My stepdaughter's friend started quilting recently with her son in high school and she had the ability to stop work. She seems to have a good circle of friends her age that quilt too. I think you have to get to the point where your kids are at certain age to have the time to even think about hobbies.

Jackie Spencer 07-16-2014 05:02 AM

My oldest daughter is one of those that can't sew on a button, she is 42. I was just thrilled a couple of weeks ago when she told me she had signed up at our LQS for her and her 13 yr. daughter to take a class, to make a small tote. They had never sat at a sewing machine before. They stopped by after the class and were so excited to show me what they had made. They were so proud! I told them they could come over any time and shop from my stash, and use any one of my machines and I would help them make whatever they wanted. The seed has been planted!!!!

feline fanatic 07-16-2014 05:04 AM

I think certain aspects of the market will become saturated. Longarms for example. There are numerous LA manufacturers but a very finite number of consumers for them given the cost, room needed for a rack setup and those of us willing to take on the task of learning it. I started quilting a little over 20 years ago but always loved sewing ever since I took sewing in high school as an elective (back in the 70's). I did not have relatives who sewed so I was the first in my family. At that time I was completely oblivious to quilting, I sewed clothes as back then it was more economical to sew your own then to buy. Now it is the opposite, costs much more to sew your own clothes then to buy. Anyway, I think growth will slow down but quilting will not go away. There are way to many that are absolutely passionate about it and fiber arts.

Panchita 07-16-2014 05:19 AM

I feel fairly sure that 'retirement age' quilters in the 1950s/60s/70s were saying the same thing.

Speaking in a general, global sense hobbies go in cycles - sometimes they become all trendy and are flavour of the month, then that dies away as the next 'big thing' bandwagon is jumped on. What could be termed 'domestic arts' such as sewing/quilting, cooking and gardening all seem to be pretty popular in the media (TV etc) and so in life right now, but it'll change to be something else over time probably evolving through various different stages of the original so that we end up with metalwork quilting (art quilts being the precursor?!) or something.

Also as others have said, your life goes in cycles and at some points you just have more time for non-essential time-users (and I'm including kids in the 'essential work' category - not that everybody has to have them, but once you do they kinda need looking after until they are of an age to be a bit more independent). I bet most people have most hobbies when they are pre-late-teen and retired. If you're being pulled at from all angles by essentials like work and children and other responsibilities you need to be pretty dedicated to maintain a hobby like quilting - not saying it can't be done, and I'm sure a lot of you are thinking 'but that is when you most need a hobby' but there are times when it just takes everything to get the essentials done and manage some sleep. Trying to keep a hobby going at those times could actually be more of a stressor than anything else.

I suspect that there are a lot of pre-retirement-age quilters out there - maybe started off by Grandma/Great Aunt/whomever - and they may stop during the years of building family and career, but that doesn't mean that they won't start again when they have time. And then they can infect all of their friends. :D

nygal 07-16-2014 05:35 AM

I made my very first quilt from a kit while I was pregnant with our first baby 35 yrs. ago. If I remember correctly the kit cost me under $20.00!! That says a lot. I am self taught and I also subscribed to the Quilter's Newsletter back in the 70's which was the first quilt magazine I think to come out. No one else in my family made quilts. I am still the only one in my family that makes them. My 11 yr. old Granddaughter shows interest in sewing so that is good!!

I have sewn some clothing over the years for myself and my daughters but I find it much easier to just buy clothing.

citruscountyquilter 07-16-2014 05:43 AM

I can't remember a time in my life when I wasn't involved in sewing or some sort. My mother was a beautiful seamstress although she never quilted. My daughter has no desire to sew anything. My daughter-in-law on the other hand enjoys sewing but has never had anyone to really teach her until she became a part of our family because she was never around anyone who sewed. It is fun doing things with her.

I spent years in the college environment as a professor. What I noticed about younger people in recent years is how impatient they are and their perception of being busier than anyone else. Products have been developed (cell phones, texting, computers, instant food, etc) to address this. I think this will also impact all sorts of arts, sewing and quilting included. We can see that in patterns today - quick and easy; equipment - die cutters, machines that go faster, thread themselves, cut the thread etc. I don't think quilting will die but the way we quilt will likely change.

SueSew 07-16-2014 07:19 AM

There are a lot of activities involving needles and thread and textiles, whether it be practical garment-making, quilting, upholstery and drapes, or arts and crafts. It is all way beyond mending ripped hems and sewing on buttons! I can sew and quilt and the rest of it, but if I needed a suit jacket altered I would run right to the tailor! We all have our limits.

Fads and styles may change but I can't see quilting fading away ever.

Onebyone 07-16-2014 07:48 AM

I hope to still be quilting in 20 years. I can't wait to see the new tools and the intuitive sewing machines that will be available.

Doggramma 07-16-2014 07:55 AM

I was worried about the quilting industry about 10 years ago. When I'd go to shows, it was mostly older people in attendance. It's exciting to see young people now involved in sewing and quilting. And even the "modern" magazines are showing traditional patterns in a more contemporary look, like hexagons or DWR. I hope to be around in 20 years to see how the industry evolves!