Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fast forward twenty years (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fast-forward-twenty-years-t250224.html)

Sewnoma 07-17-2014 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by qwkslver (Post 6804656)
None of my family is interested other than to compliment something I have made. Everyone thinks it's too much work. I imagine my stuff will go to the Goodwill. It's sad.

You never know...both of my grandmothers were quilters and they both died probably thinking that their hobbies were leaving the family with them. Not so...eventually I picked it up about a decade later. I really wish I'd gotten into it while they were still alive though. (Coincidentally, they passed away within 5 months of each other.)

Sewnoma 07-17-2014 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by jbaby (Post 6804703)
I don't think I'm that young (36!), but I really became interested in quilting at 30. Didn't start quilting until I was 33, but since then have taught (and hooked!) two ladies my age. I guess we're the inbetweeners?!

I'm 39 and I can't decide if I'm still young or not either, but I am definitely one of the youngest in my guild. But I'm NOT the youngest, and that's awesome.

I just spent about a week traveling around Oregon, attending 2 quilt shows (quilt expo in Redmond & Sisters outdoor quilt show) and yes...most of the ladies looking at the quilts were older than me, but definitely not all of them. I saw LOTS of people my age or younger. I saw lots of (I assume) mom & daughter groups too, which is really cool.

maggie_1936 07-17-2014 06:57 AM

it may be different but itt'l always be here

Boston1954 07-17-2014 07:36 AM

I started at 38. (sixty now). Moved over from cross stitch. I find this more rewarding, as the quilts can be used when done. The interest is out there, and will show itself.

BettyGee 07-17-2014 07:42 AM

My niece, early twenties, just made a T-shirt quilt for her brother for Christmas. I'm about to begin teaching a young woman how to sew and quilt. There will always be those who need to create and so I'm optimistic about quilting continuing its popularity. What other outlet gives you so much joy? Oh, and I love the quilt you have for your avatar.

fangman 07-17-2014 07:46 AM

I grew up garment sewing, and made my own and others clothes for years. Then I discovered quilting, and am loving every minute of it.

tlpa 07-17-2014 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north (Post 6803047)
When I first started quilting, it appeared that it was a dying craft. But since that time, quilting interest has increased by leaps and bounds. I don't see any reason for it to slow down. I have tons of people asking me where they can take sewing classes for clothing as well as quilting. They are willing to pay for classes. That says that there is still interest. I know plenty of people that can't sew on a button as well. But I see people thinking of sewing and quilting as an art instead of thinking only poor people want to sew and quilt. That's an improvement as far as I can tell.

I agree with nanna...when I first started to sew, maybe 20 years ago, sewing wasn't a big thing that I can remember.
With how much interest there is now, I can't help but think it will continue to grow.

NUBQ 07-17-2014 09:48 AM

I believe the way technology is progressing, in 20 yrs. we will look back on such gadgets as rotary cutters et al. will be obsolete.. We'll press a button on the New programmed electric cutting machine for the size square we want, and the cutter will do all that for us.. We'll say 'remember when we used to crank that handle on the Accuquilt". :) We can program things like our embroidery machines work, or just speak into them, and they will do our bidding..Haha..
Just as hand quilting is rarely done these days.
There is always someone out there to get us to spend our money on the latest...Look at the GPS and no driver cars, if you think it's far fetched...

Luv Quilts and Cats 07-17-2014 09:50 AM

One of my quilting gal pals is teaching her grandson to quilt (he asked to be taught! and he is in middle school) and two of her nieces wanted to learn when they saw what he had made! Another of my quilting pals is teaching her niece. So there is a younger generation learning. It's just they tend to hang out on line and face book.

JanieH 07-17-2014 10:31 AM

My 12 yr. old great niece is into quilting! And, when I go to the Houston show, I have noticed a range of ages with lots of moms with babies in strollers.

Plus, a lot of the Houston area schools do field trips to the show. I "happened" to eavesdrop on one group and heard several of the kids, both boys and girls, commenting on how cool the quilts were and was it hard to learn to do them.

I think quilting will always be around. Its popularity may ebb and flow but we will always have quilters!