Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fat Quarters, no Selvage? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fat-quarters-no-selvage-t39735.html)

schwanton 03-18-2010 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by chicagoshar
I don't mind spending extra $$ for quality goods, but that does not seem to be the case at Joanne's. I find that their quilting fabric is stiff, thin and generally poor quality. I either go to the local quilt store, or to Hobby Lobby as we're lucky enough to have both nearby. If you're going to spend all the time to make a quilt, why use yucky fabric? Especially since most of mine end up being gifts! :-D

I agree! The fat quarters at Joann's are very poor quality. But you don't realize it until you take it apart and remove the cardboard! I prefer fq from my local quilt shop - if they don't have one in the fabric you want, they will cut it for you!

weezie 03-18-2010 04:30 PM

Sugarpumpkin, I've become completely fascinated by the bird in your avatar. What a cutie! I can't decide, however, if it is having a really good time or if that is a cry for help. Also, I like the waving cow and find myself waving back at it; thank goodness I can't wiggle my ears.

moeind 03-18-2010 06:20 PM

What a darling quilt!

moeind 03-18-2010 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by moeind
What a darling quilt!

This was for chicagostar's quilt in the photo.

zz-pd 03-18-2010 10:53 PM

thank you for the tips. Penny

k_jupiter 03-18-2010 11:32 PM

Thinks about this. Fat quarters at 2.00 a piece are 8.00 a yard. Better be good quality fabric for that kind of money!
I prefer to spend a buck or two more at the FLQS for a yard of fabric (or get my quarter for 2.50 or so) than spend 2 bucks for crappy fabric at JoAnns or Hancocks. Of course, I still buy things like Kona solids at the Chain store. I mean Kona is Kona for the most part.

tim in san jose

quiltmom04 03-19-2010 05:55 AM

I don't mind spending extra $$ for quality goods, but that does not seem to be the case at Joanne's. I find that their quilting fabric is stiff, thin and generally poor quality. I either go to the local quilt store, or to Hobby Lobby as we're lucky enough to have both nearby. If you're going to spend all the time to make a quilt, why use yucky fabric? Especially since most of mine end up being gifts! :-D

At our guild meeting we had a speaker from a major fabric manufacturer who confirmed what we all suspected - that Joann's and Wal-Mart do NOT get the same quality goods as independent stores.

JenniePenny 03-19-2010 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Corky
JenniePenny, that is a cute quilt on your picture - what pattern is it? Thanks,

thanks for the compliment! It is the card trick pattern. There is more to see under the pictures section.

LovingIzabella 03-19-2010 06:23 AM

And that's just one issue with buying quilting fabric at Joanne's.

I love your avatar picture. It is a beautiful quilt. Do you mind if I ask where you got the pattern from?
Hugs
April

retrogirl02 03-19-2010 06:41 AM

Lately I've been getting a lot more FQs and fat eighths without selvage...they're folded in so you can't tell it's been cut away unless you completely open them up & some are labeled shut or tied so you can't see before purchase.

In fact, I just bought a fat eighth from JoAnns Wednesday and it has no selvage whatsoever. The tip about slight stretch is a good one and while the 18 x 22 is usually true from fabric stores, if you purchase online or trade with people, it is not always the case.