Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Favorite iron for seam pressing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/favorite-iron-seam-pressing-t189121.html)

Silver Needle 05-15-2012 06:43 PM

Favorite iron for seam pressing?

I just read the post about the Rowenta iron catching fire. I have their travel iron and love the size and weight. What are your suggestions for a similar iron. I'm willing to pay more for something similar and safer.

momto5 05-16-2012 05:12 PM

I have had several Rowentas and IMHO they are all pieces of garbage. I decided that all the heavy irons just simply couldn't ALL be bad, so I bought a Shark...same thing! Now I use a re-furbed Rowenta as back-up but I use a WM $5 Black & Decker. Not heavy, but no problems either!
My next try will be the Olisa...

jayelee 05-16-2012 05:40 PM

My next will also be an Oliso But for now I have a Shark, a Rownta and a couple of Black and Deckers Paid 12 dollars for my Shark and love it Hate the Rowenta

Treasureit 05-16-2012 05:48 PM

I had a shark go out pretty quick...about a year and a day I would guess. Have a Rowenta, it is OK, but not the best. I don't think there is any one that is great. Oliso also has issues. I think cheap is going to be my next one. My husband bought a $10 Black & Decker to put veneer on his woodworking projects and he has not had any problems.

Stitchnripper 05-16-2012 05:49 PM

I am loving my Black and Decker Digital Advantage but now I notice it doesn't stay on all the time. I am very sad but am going to see if I can find another one just like it because it has been my best iron so far. The Rowenta lives in the closet. I don't like it, but haven't ditched it yet. It sputters all over the place. I also have a vintage GE iron I got back in the 70s. Nice and heavy and gets very hot. But no auto shut off and even with the inconvenience of that, I know I need it. The Digital Advantage heats up really fast.

Dingle 05-16-2012 07:59 PM

I love my Dry Iron I got from HD. I'm not a steam user and if I decide I need a little spritz I just use my spray bottle. Very easy to clean with a Magic Eraser and no holes to get plugged up with starch. Has a good weight to it and gets nice and hot.

jaciqltznok 05-16-2012 08:23 PM

did you want a travel iron or regular?
I just tried a newer travel iron from Dritz and man was I surprised at it! Very nice, stayed hot all day, fits your hand good, presses well...I love it!

jaciqltznok 05-16-2012 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dingle (Post 5222513)
I love my Dry Iron I got from HD. I'm not a steam user and if I decide I need a little spritz I just use my spray bottle. Very easy to clean with a Magic Eraser and no holes to get plugged up with starch. Has a good weight to it and gets nice and hot.

what is HD? Harley Davison?

Christine George 05-17-2012 09:37 AM

I bought my steam iron at Walmart. $20. I use tap water in it and it just keeps going and going. Nice and hot and plenty of steam. For $20 I'll just get another one when it wears out.

Buckeye Rose 05-17-2012 10:25 AM

I just bought a new iron yesterday! I got a Hamilton Beach Durathon for $24....non-stick, longer cord, 1500 watt....so far it works great....will have to let you know on longevity, LOL.