Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Favorite layer cake pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/favorite-layer-cake-pattern-t286890.html)

himnherr 03-19-2017 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by farmquilter (Post 7787031)
LOVE your quilt, do you do the HST method to make it. More info please on how to construct it or a link. I do scrap quilts and am cutting a bunch of fabrics as layer cakes. When I have enough fabrics cut want to start one of the Hunters Star.
Jan

Yes, I did HST's. I didn't really have a pattern but if you google it you can find a free picture of one and you just make your HST's and look at the picture and assemble. Have fun!

Jingle 03-19-2017 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Z (Post 7787050)
Check out the double slice layer cake on Missouri Star Quilting Company on You Tube. It is very easy and works up beautifully in batiks. Be sure to have a variety of lights, mediums, and darks for good contrast.

This is my suggestion also. I have made a whole lot of quilts using the double slice from Jenny.

mollymunchkin 03-19-2017 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by himnherr (Post 7786985)
My favorite is Hunters Star with batik layer cakes.

I think you posted the wrong picture. That picture is a carpenter's star, not a Hunter's star. The best Carpenter's Star pattern, imho, is Four hour quilt from Quilt Frog. Quiltfrog.com I use the Craftsy Magic 8 method of making HST's. I have made a full size and a baby quilt with this pattern. It is my go to if I am in a time crunch.

GeeGee 03-19-2017 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by bneuen (Post 7786954)
I'm working on the Grand Adventures tutorial from Missouri Quilts. Like the pattern.

Here is the link for the video tutorial

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/land...ilt/index.html

sammyjeanbean 03-20-2017 05:53 AM

Sea glass or orange peel would work nicely with batiks

farmquilter 03-20-2017 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by mollymunchkin (Post 7787523)
I think you posted the wrong picture. That picture is a carpenter's star, not a Hunter's star. The best Carpenter's Star pattern, imho, is Four hour quilt from Quilt Frog. Quiltfrog.com I use the Craftsy Magic 8 method of making HST's. I have made a full size and a baby quilt with this pattern. It is my go to if I am in a time crunch.

Thank you for the info as that is really the one I want to make.

WMUTeach 03-22-2017 03:23 AM

Grandma Mary, I did/am considering the quatrefoil. I am being a cheepo and did not want to purchase any additional fabric. I would need to purchase the light background. Can I mix batiks and a simple high quality white muslin or a white on white? I seldom use batiks, thus the questions.

Beautiful quilt.

WMUTeach 03-22-2017 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by sammyjeanbean (Post 7787746)
Sea glass or orange peel would work nicely with batiks

Of there are so many choices for the Sea Glass but I think it is the colors that appeal to me! I fall victim to beautiful colors WAY too often. Thanks for the idea.

WMUTeach 03-22-2017 03:27 AM

Thank you everyone for the ideas. Still no firm, grab my heart and start cutting pattern. So, for me that means, set it aside and work on something else for a while. I have another colleague who will be getting a Delectable Mountains quilt and I can get that started. (She is a skier, so she gets the mountains quilt.)

Grandma Mary 03-22-2017 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach (Post 7789011)
Grandma Mary, I did/am considering the quatrefoil. I am being a cheepo and did not want to purchase any additional fabric. I would need to purchase the light background. Can I mix batiks and a simple high quality white muslin or a white on white? I seldom use batiks, thus the questions.

Beautiful quilt.

Yes, you certainly may mix batiks with a white on white. Once the quilt is done, I'd recommend washing it with a few color catchers to pick up any excess dye that might be on the batiks. I'm working on a quilt right now that mixes batiks with regular cotton fabric.