Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favorite layer cake pattern

Favorite layer cake pattern

I am planning on making a quilt for a colleague using batiks in the blue, green, turquoise and purple color ways. I am struggling with finding the perfect pattern that will show off the batiks. Any ideas or suggestions? I have sorted the cuts into light and dark but nothing cut. My fall back pattern is the Disappearing Hour Glass. Just wondering if there are some other good choices. Thanks for you ideas.

Gay
    Blog Entries
    Orian Star quilt looks fabulous in these colours, as does the Drunkards Path.

There is a pattern called Bricks that I have made, easy to do. I made a queen size so it took a while to do but looks so good.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

Without seeing your fabrics, it really is hard to suggest .... however,
    Disappearing Four Patch might work.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sounds like a Bargello to me. Storm at Sea is another choice for your watery colors.

I'm working on the Grand Adventures tutorial from Missouri Quilts. Like the pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
    I am planning on making a quilt for a colleague using batiks in the blue, green, turquoise and purple color ways. I am struggling with finding the perfect pattern that will show off the batiks. Any ideas or suggestions? I have sorted the cuts into light and dark but nothing cut. My fall back pattern is the Disappearing Hour Glass. Just wondering if there are some other good choices. Thanks for you ideas.
    My favorite is Hunters Star with batik layer cakes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You can either go to MSQC website or Moda Bake shop site and look under the layer cake section for inspiration. Good luck with your choice.
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by himnherr View Post
    LOVE your quilt, do you do the HST method to make it. More info please on how to construct it or a link. I do scrap quilts and am cutting a bunch of fabrics as layer cakes. When I have enough fabrics cut want to start one of the Hunters Star.
    Jan

Blog Entries
    Emerald Isle from Missouri Star Quilt tutorial used batiks and I thought it was lovely and used layer cakes.
    Last edited by indymta; 03-19-2017 at 04:51 AM. Reason: added more info

Z
    Check out the double slice layer cake on Missouri Star Quilting Company on You Tube. It is very easy and works up beautifully in batiks. Be sure to have a variety of lights, mediums, and darks for good contrast.

I luv the color combo you plan on using.....don't forget to post pics......I'd luv to see it!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post

Check out the video on Stitchin Heaven's facebook page on how to use the Creative Grids 8 inch crazy templates. It will allow layer cakes with very very little waste and you can border to make bigger if you want. I have made two. One I made bigger by adding some batiks to the cotton layer cake I had.....and borders. fun and easy.. Be sure to get the custom made free template SH sends to help you make a good first cut which is pretty critical.

I agree with the suggestion of the Double Slice Layer Cake. It is my favorite for layer cakes. I have made several. Let me see if I can find pictures.

I like this pattern so much that often I just cut my own layer cake pieces. It goes together quickly.

Maybe these will give you some ideas of what you want to do with your layer cake.

Dina

Blog Entries
    How about MSQC's quatrefoil quilt? I used a layer cake for this one. It's an easy and fun quilt, and definitely shows off the fabric.

Blog Entries
    My daughter likes to make a tumbler quilt from a layer cake.

I agree with the Double Slice Layer Cake and the Disappearing Nine Patch.
    Sheep Farmer by day ~ Learning to Quilt by night

I found a great pattern on Craftsy called Easy Layer Cake Quilt (aka Simple Layer Cake Quilt Top) sold by Codman Square Creations. https://www.craftsy.com/quilting/pat...-quilt-/193761

You can probably find something from Missouri Star.

Quote Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
    LOVE your quilt, do you do the HST method to make it. More info please on how to construct it or a link. I do scrap quilts and am cutting a bunch of fabrics as layer cakes. When I have enough fabrics cut want to start one of the Hunters Star.
    Jan
    Yes, I used 10" layer cakes and did HST's. I didn't really have a pattern. I just looked at a picture online and followed that. It's an easy quilt to make.

Quote Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
    Jan
    Yes, I did HST's. I didn't really have a pattern but if you google it you can find a free picture of one and you just make your HST's and look at the picture and assemble. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    Check out the double slice layer cake on Missouri Star Quilting Company on You Tube. It is very easy and works up beautifully in batiks. Be sure to have a variety of lights, mediums, and darks for good contrast.
    This is my suggestion also. I have made a whole lot of quilts using the double slice from Jenny.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by himnherr View Post
    I think you posted the wrong picture. That picture is a carpenter's star, not a Hunter's star. The best Carpenter's Star pattern, imho, is Four hour quilt from Quilt Frog. Quiltfrog.com I use the Craftsy Magic 8 method of making HST's. I have made a full size and a baby quilt with this pattern. It is my go to if I am in a time crunch.
    Last edited by mollymunchkin; 03-19-2017 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bneuen View Post
    I'm working on the Grand Adventures tutorial from Missouri Quilts. Like the pattern.
    Here is the link for the video tutorial

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/land...ilt/index.html
    GeeGee

Sea glass or orange peel would work nicely with batiks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast