Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   favorite needle?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/favorite-needle-t14018.html)

Rose Hall 12-01-2008 09:16 AM

Dear all,

My Mom thought it was hysterical this weekend when she found out that I have a favorite needle to sew with by hand. I use it for mending, hand quilting, embroidery, cross stitch, anything that requires hand sewing. She said she had never heard of anyone having a favorite needle, thimble maybe, but not needle. (She sews more by hand than I do).
I tried to explain to her that I have large hands, so the needle can't be too short or too long. It can't be too thin or too thick. And the eye has to be big enough for me to thread without my glasses on (something that is getting harder all the time...)

Does anyone else have a favorite needle? Please, someone, validate me here...

By the way, this converastion started because I accidentally super-glued my fingers together with my "favorite" needle glued in between my fingers. I had used it to try and puncture the seal on the super glue to fix a few Christmas ornaments that had broken while being stored. Word to the wise--when the super glue package says "Bonds skin instantly" THEY AREN'T KIDDING... :lol:

Don't worry--hot soapy water did the trick, but my needle didn't survive...
Rose

luvmy2bts 12-01-2008 09:21 AM

My favorite needles are the Roxanne size 10 betweens. I use them for most everything. They have a nice sized eye and they aren't real tiny.

Debbie

sewjoyce 12-01-2008 09:49 AM

I thought everyone had a favorite needle.... :roll:

patricej 12-01-2008 09:53 AM

i absolutely have a favorite needle. NATURALLY, i can't find them anymore. i have a growing collection of experiments as i search for a new favorite.

Knot Sew 12-01-2008 11:14 AM

A favorite..ones....I like a certain size brand to use...but they come 20 to a package :D

mary quite contrary 12-01-2008 11:34 AM

Absolutely!!!! I was "corrupting" oh I mean teaching a friend to quilt and she said she just hated hand sewing. I assured her when she found the right needle that fit she would love it. Guess what!!!!! She did and now loves applique and sewing the binding on her quilts.

BTW. We joke about me "corrupting" her and I did a really really good job. She's addicted and a much better quilter than me.

Cathe 12-01-2008 01:56 PM

Piecemakers needles are my favorites.

mic-pa 12-01-2008 04:31 PM

When hand quilting I use John James Betweens size 10 and when hand sewing, such as binding on a quilt I use "straw needles". They are long and thin. Gotta love em Marge

sandpat 12-01-2008 04:55 PM

Of course I have a favorite needle!!! I thought everyone did!! I think even my machine has a favorite needle :mrgreen: :lol:

Boston1954 12-03-2008 11:54 AM

I have a favorite size needle. I bought a package of 20. They are wonderful. They are larger than what most folks would consider, but I can't deal with the tiny ones.