Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: favorite needle??

Dear all,

My Mom thought it was hysterical this weekend when she found out that I have a favorite needle to sew with by hand. I use it for mending, hand quilting, embroidery, cross stitch, anything that requires hand sewing. She said she had never heard of anyone having a favorite needle, thimble maybe, but not needle. (She sews more by hand than I do).
    I tried to explain to her that I have large hands, so the needle can't be too short or too long. It can't be too thin or too thick. And the eye has to be big enough for me to thread without my glasses on (something that is getting harder all the time...)

Does anyone else have a favorite needle? Please, someone, validate me here...

By the way, this converastion started because I accidentally super-glued my fingers together with my "favorite" needle glued in between my fingers. I had used it to try and puncture the seal on the super glue to fix a few Christmas ornaments that had broken while being stored. Word to the wise--when the super glue package says "Bonds skin instantly" THEY AREN'T KIDDING... :lol:

Don't worry--hot soapy water did the trick, but my needle didn't survive...
    Rose

My favorite needles are the Roxanne size 10 betweens. I use them for most everything. They have a nice sized eye and they aren't real tiny.

Debbie

I thought everyone had a favorite needle.... :roll:

Blog Entries
    i absolutely have a favorite needle. NATURALLY, i can't find them anymore. i have a growing collection of experiments as i search for a new favorite.

A favorite..ones....I like a certain size brand to use...but they come 20 to a package :D

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    Absolutely!!!! I was "corrupting" oh I mean teaching a friend to quilt and she said she just hated hand sewing. I assured her when she found the right needle that fit she would love it. Guess what!!!!! She did and now loves applique and sewing the binding on her quilts.

BTW. We joke about me "corrupting" her and I did a really really good job. She's addicted and a much better quilter than me.

Piecemakers needles are my favorites.

When hand quilting I use John James Betweens size 10 and when hand sewing, such as binding on a quilt I use "straw needles". They are long and thin. Gotta love em Marge

Blog Entries
    Of course I have a favorite needle!!! I thought everyone did!! I think even my machine has a favorite needle :mrgreen: :lol:

I have a favorite size needle. I bought a package of 20. They are wonderful. They are larger than what most folks would consider, but I can't deal with the tiny ones.

Blog Entries
    Yes. Mine are John James. Can't fine the other.

I have a hard time threading the betweens. A very seasoned quilter once told me to try using an embroidery needle (crewel eye). I love them.

my favorite is Roxanne

I also have a favorite needle.

I'm always looking for it though! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Carol W
    I also have a favorite needle.

I'm always looking for it though! :)
    :lol: Sounds like at my house. Lately I've started to attach my needle to a little felt strip that is attached in one of my bags that I place finished squares. It seems to be working well.

After having a lost needle break off into my bare foot in college, I'm careful about keeping track of them. On sewing days, I stick my basting needle into the paper on the top of a spool of Mettler thread, which is left on the sewing table. If I'm moving back and forth to the ironing board, I may stick it into my shirt collar. I make sure to count needles at the end of the day.

Unless I need silk pins, I sew clothes and everything with the long quilting pins with bright yellow heads. I keep a small ramekin bowl behind my sewing machine while I am sewing, so I can toss pins as I sew. It has developed into a habit to grab my bowl when I stand up to walk over to iron. I still manage to drop pins on the floor, so I have to check periodically.

Quilting betweens are so fine, I think I need a new system. I like the idea of a wool felt needle book-- maybe attached to one end of a chatelaine ribbon?? I have always been afraid that I would somehow manage to cut myself with applique scissors attached to the other side.

Did I mention that I'm accident prone while sewing.... and cooking?