Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ok, going insaner.....

I KNOW I saw a pattern for an 8 sided or maybe it was 6 sided tree skirt. I found one online, but it says I have to have some sort of thingy thing to make it with. That's not the one I'm searching for.
    Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Or, if anyone knows of one that is free, can you please let me know?
    I sort of said YES to a friend to make a tree skirt for her friend that is having Christmas blahs....She thought that if I made a skirt for her, maybe she'd get into the spirit a bit more. I know the lady it's going to go to and she likes the things I make, but just doesn't have the extra money to go and buy home made items that she likes, so, my other friend thought it would be a great idea if I made one and she would maybe come out of her blahs if she sees that it came from me, and this other friend. Have I confused anyone??

Oh, by the way...I have to have it done by Friday........what have I gotten myself into??

Well you are in a bit of a pickle aren't you? It is Friday here already! Good thing you are in a different time zone! I don't have a pattern but my MIL made one for me that was a giant dresden plate....just the plate part so it had a scalloped edge. It would be quick because when she put the back on she placed right sides together and it turned under all those edges. She put a little lace in there too I think. Then she turned it right side out and the circle where the trunk goes is turned under and top stitched with bias tape to make a little tie. Each section was a cherry Christmas print. Wish I had a picture for you. Good Luck! Maybe some one will have a pattern so you don't have to do math. :lol:

I should have said NEXT Friday, the 12th.

I thought about doing 5 stars....one for each side and one in the middle, then triangles for the sides of the stars. I dont have a program that would draw it, but I know someone probably knows what I'm talking about. I have driven myself insaner trying to find the pattern.

I know someone here posted pics of this one they made.

http://www.ezquilt.com/patterns/treeskirt/treeskirt.htm

http://quilting.about.com/gi/dynamic...Ftreeskirt.htm
    Terri I found this one at eZ quilt it's called Stars All Around. Hope the long address works. Didn't see Shelleys post.

Quote Originally Posted by DA Mayer
    http://quilting.about.com/gi/dynamic...Ftreeskirt.htm
    Terri I found this one at eZ quilt it's called Stars All Around. Hope the long address works. Didn't see Shelleys post.

Great Iowa minds think alike! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by shellyp
    I know someone here posted pics of this one they made.

http://www.ezquilt.com/patterns/treeskirt/treeskirt.htm
    Thats the one you need the thingy for

I'm not seeing what you need the thingy for. ???

Blog Entries
    tlrnhi ~ could this be the one that you are ??
    I found the pattern at ezquilt.com http://ezquilt.com/patterns/treeskirt/treeskirt.htm
    they say you need to have a 'Companian Angle ruler'
    BUT you can make it without (I have one, so used it) The block is 'Ohio Star' you make 8 of those and one LARGE (double the others). The center would be 24" and the 8 blocks are 12" Here is the link for a 12"
    http://www.quilterscache.com/O/OhioStarBlock.html

I did two of these (for each of my DD's). For ONE- cutting and sewing was about 8+ hours, sandwiching, simple quilting about and another 8 and then hand binding the back side . . oh another 8 (I'm slow and take small stitches). So with life getting in the way and sleeping . . it can be done in a week.

If you need any more help just holler
    Attached Images Attached Images

isn't the thingy for cutting triangles easier?

Thanks Grammy!! You are a doll!!! :) :)

Senior Member Dorothy of Kansas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Terri, try this site for a quick tree skirt

http://sewing.about.com/od/freeproje...Tree-Skirt.htm

Blog Entries
    Forgot with the center - I do have EQ6 to help you, if needed. Or IMHO if you just double the dimensions of the 12" block cuts you should come up with the 24" block. (one would think)

here is the other I just delivered yesterday.

Thanks grammy!!! Sometimes what I'm thinking and what I say are different. You said what I was thinking. 8)

Blog Entries
    shellyp ~ you're funnnnny! lol

tlrnhi ~ if you print out the ez pattern.... I did find a mistake (not life of death) on the 12 7/8 (white fabric) for the corners it says to cut 1 and then sub-cut ONCE diagnally ..... well duh there are FOUR corners so you need to cut TWO, then the diagnal cuts.

another thing that I did not do what the directions said. At the end it says to sew the top and back together (right side together then flip open) for the tree skirt opening. THEN slide your batting 'carefully' in between. HELLO I'm spray basting. So I marked where I would cut the side opening, then marked my circle, on my top. Oh another think, they said a small glass, I did oh about a sauce plate size. I then sandwhiched like I would a quilt. I did cut one or two more stripes for the binding, so I would have enough for the slice up to the center. ANOTHER BUT**** for the circle I did cut a small biased strip, you know that curved thing.

So with all the adjustments and figuring and a opps and unsew . . . still made these in about 20 hours.

I HOPE YOU MEAN NEXT FRIDAY AND NOT TODAY! I MADE MY OWN PATTERN BY PIECING TOGETHER LARGE NEWSPAPER SHEETS. THEN FOLD AND REFOLD TILL YOU GET THE NUMBER OF PIE SHAPED PIECES YOU WANT. THEN ROUND OFF THE OPEN END. KIND OF LIKE MAKING SNOWFLAKES WHEN WE WERE LITTLE. OPEN IT AND VOILA! YOU HAVE YOUR PATTERN. ADD A RUFFLE TO THE OUTSIDE PERIMETER OR ANY LACE YOU HAVE OR WHATEVER.

Quote Originally Posted by stay-at-home
    I HOPE YOU MEAN NEXT FRIDAY AND NOT TODAY! I MADE MY OWN PATTERN BY PIECING TOGETHER LARGE NEWSPAPER SHEETS. THEN FOLD AND REFOLD TILL YOU GET THE NUMBER OF PIE SHAPED PIECES YOU WANT. THEN ROUND OFF THE OPEN END. KIND OF LIKE MAKING SNOWFLAKES WHEN WE WERE LITTLE. OPEN IT AND VOILA! YOU HAVE YOUR PATTERN. ADD A RUFFLE TO THE OUTSIDE PERIMETER OR ANY LACE YOU HAVE OR WHATEVER.
    OH! FORGOT TO SAY = YOU HAVE TO CUT THE TIP OF THE "SNOWFLAKE" SHAPE OFF FOR THE CENTER WHERE YOU PUT THE TREE. THEN LEAVE AN OPENING BETWEEN TWO OF THE PIE SHAPES. PUT A TIE AROUND THE HOLE AND YOU'RE DONE. IS THIS CLEAR ENOUGH??? :roll:

Blog Entries
    WOW I have this pattern printed from the internet and have been trying to figure out the stars without the companion angle. Thanks for the Ohio star link/tip. I even bought some special fabrics with holograms and sparlies on them to make it with but couldn't figure out the size of the triangles.

Hmmm, 20 hours, eh? Wonder if there are that many left between now and the tree going up. :?

Yes, Next Friday, the 12th.
    But, I now have a problem, this is NOW what my sewing room looks like!

And why does your sewing room have a bed in it?? And no sewing machine or mess???? What is wrong with you girl????? Or who is coming to visit?????

We swapped rooms. You really DO NOT want to see what MY room looks like at the moment. Everything is just tossed in there. Tomorrow, I get to straighten it out...lucky me!!
    Ewww...I just noticed you can see the old dresser that needs refinishing in the picture. YUCK! My grandfather made that back in like the 20s. Maybe I'll put a pretty piece of fabric over it to hide it until I get it refinished. :)

Well, I don't know what I'm staring at more, the quilt -did you make that?!?!?!, the cat -you've talked about how big he was but I thought he was just a legend, or the dresser -I love antique furniture!

Yes, awesome dresser!! Just send that right over here!! I have your cats cousin over here!! We call her fat cat!:))LOL Can't wait to see your sewing room pics! Skeat (love that quilt that we can sorta see around that cat that is taking up half the bed:))

Blog Entries
    Well I am not sure where to start... The cat is HUGE ! The quilt is awesome ! and the dresser is a precious treasure. And I am glad to hear you swapped rooms, had me worried for a little bit there..Like where was the machine, fabric and all the other essentials that are required ! LOL Thought maybe you used all the fabric for your winter sale and had nothing left... :cry:
    Sharon

both are very festive and pretty, grammy Dwynn...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast