Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Favorite sewing machine for quilters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/favorite-sewing-machine-quilters-t137771.html)

MYWR 07-16-2011 09:32 AM

I guess the best advise I can give you - is try them !! and get what you can afford and what YOU like the best. e all have our favorites - reasons stated by all - but that doesn't amount to a hill of beans if you don't have a dealer locally who can do repairs - who you trust !!

Candace 07-16-2011 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Quilterfay
Did you know that the Kenmore is made by Janome. I love their instruction manual.

I have 3 Janome's, a Kenmore my husband bought when he was quilting and a Pfaff grandquilter.

I love Janome's great machines.

Kenmore is not made by Janome. Two different manufacturers. Kenmore is owned by SEARS. Their machines are built from the same specs, but completely different entities.

mtkoldra 07-16-2011 09:37 AM

me too, if I was going to have just one machine for piecing and quilting I am still not sure which one to choose?????

BrendaY 07-16-2011 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by grannypat7925
I love my Pfaff 2056. Love the IDT (built in walking foot). The only thing it lacks is the thread cutter. Otherwise it is perfect for anything I have wanted to do.

My Juki has the automatic threader and thread cutter, too. Those 2 things are absolutely essential for me now. I figure I save tons of $$ on thread since getting this. And being shaky and old myself, the threader saves me lots of frustration...

quilter41 07-16-2011 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by MelodyWB
I'm currently looking also..but will tell you what I won't buy again "VIKING" 6 years ago I wanted a new machine and had always wanted a Viking..so 2,500.00 later..I took it home (Viking Lilly 555) I hate it..use my old Singer and a 200.00 Brother from Wal-mart with less issues..so there's my imput..it's just a personal opinion and I have a friend who won't buy anything but Viking..in my quilt group the Janome seems to be the favorite !! Good Luck !!

Good we don't all like the same things. I have a Viking Lily 545 & a D1. Wouldn't have anything except a Viking.

purplefiend 07-16-2011 09:52 AM

I have 2 Pfaffs,1 Janome and 1 Viking. I love my Pfaffs for the
IDT when I'm piecing quilt blocks(1222E and 2040). The Janome Jem Gold 2 is a small machine that is good for quilt classes or when I need a lightweight machine with zig zag.
The Viking Sapphire 875 is a fabulous machine, has a 10" throat space. I made a pair of denim shorts and there were no skipped stitches or straining over the thicker seams. Lots of good features. Its good for machine quilting too. It has a needle threader,thread cutter, auto presser foot lifter(no lifter lever);
makes wonderful buttonholes too.
Sharon W.

BrendaY 07-16-2011 10:13 AM

Pfaff IDT is a major selling point to me... I almost bought one, til I tried the Juki... love them both, but only wanted to have one machine for lack of space for more...

sewgray 07-16-2011 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by grandma sue
I've had a Janome 7700 Horizon for a year now and I love it! Has an 11" harp so it's easy to maneuver your quilt for quilting. Has lots of bells and whistles and does everything. Not an embroidery machine - but that's not what I wanted anyway. I've always been a Bernina girl but I fell in love with this one.

I'm a Bernina girl too, but if I were to buy a new machine for quilting I think it would be the Horizon.

susieqwva 07-16-2011 10:51 AM

I purchase a Viking Sapphire two years ago and have never liked it. Just sent it for an annual cleaning and plan to sell it as soon as it returns! I recently purchased a Janome 7700 Horizon . . . . . and LOVE it! I also have a Janome Sewist 521 that I take to retreats because it is much smaller and easier to manage. Good luck! I know it is a difficult decision . . . . try different brands out, that's what helped me decide! My vote is for Janome!

Sanpot 07-16-2011 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by btiny36
I love love my Janome 6600P and I also have the 350E embroidery machine by Janome...Love love them both and sooooooo user friendly....

Me too - especially the needle threader and thread cutter, and it sews so well, particularly the 1/4 inch foot to get the seams accurate and the walking foot when I am quilting.