Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Favorite sewing machine for quilters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/favorite-sewing-machine-quilters-t137771.html)

huntannette 07-16-2011 08:24 AM

after reading all your posts...dang, i`m more confused than ever!!! lol

Candace 07-16-2011 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by mmlctnp

Originally Posted by Candace
Be sure to read about the Singer, Pfaff, Viking merger/buy out while you're considering a purchase. Google SVP buy out.

I have the new Bernina 830 and think it's a perfect quilting machine. But, I also have a Janome 9000 which I love and several other vintage machines. There's a new Janome machine being released, so stay tuned... Have you checked out the Janome Horizon?

http://sewingforlife.wordpress.com/2...-of-companies/

Actually, I think this is the better link http://www.svpworldwide.com/

Donna in Mo 07-16-2011 08:28 AM

I love my Pfaff with it's built in IDT (walking) foot.

frannella 07-16-2011 08:30 AM

What Bernina models are you considering TOL? I agree that the SVP merger does not bode well for consumers. Thanks

Originally Posted by Candace

Originally Posted by LaurieE
No sewing machine is made in its home country any more. Viking and Bernina are made in Thailand with one Bernina model made in China. Singer is made in Brazil and China, Janome is made in both Thailand and Taiwan. Not sure about Pfaff. Chances are it's also in Thailand.

In regards to the SVP merger. That happened back in the beginning of 2010 and that's when Singer, Viking & Pfaff became 1 company. As far as I'm concerned, that's no different than K-Mart buying Sears and each keeping their brand names.

I completely disagree with your statement about the merging of the 3 companies. I think it's very important and is not a benefit to the Pfaff or Viking name at all... And the TOL Berninas are not made in Asia.

frannella 07-16-2011 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by cjtinkle
I have a Bernina 830 and a 630, and I love them both, but use neither for quilting. I adore my Juki TL2010Q for piecing, and I quilt on a longarm.

I am always confused by references to the 'new' Bernina Series 8 Model 830 and the classic 'original' 830--to which are you referring? Thanks, Fran

Candace 07-16-2011 08:39 AM

Frannella, from what I understand Bernina 600 series on up are still made in Switzerland. They're discontinuing the 400's and the 500's will be released at Bernina University, maybe this week? The 500 series may or may not be made in Thailand. Though Bernina owns a factory there and runs it. All of this gets really confusing, no?

Really, it just makes plain sense to buy the best built, best fitting machine (to you). :>

LyndaOH 07-16-2011 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1
...A few months ago I bought the Janome 3160 (call me spoiled, but I missed my thread cutter) which is 12 pounds and a great machine for class...

I'm considering replacing my 720 with the 3160 for that reason and also because it's full sized but still weighs the same. I'm having trouble finding out the price for it without making a trip to the dealer's. Would you mind sharing the price range on the 3160?

Thanks!

Lynda

PS You can call me spoiled too!

Hattie Shorts 07-16-2011 08:50 AM

I have an old Bernina 1230 which is a workhorse...I bought a Pfaff two years ago and had nothing but trouble...the dealer traded me it for a Smarter by Pfaff...it is okay but is back at the dealer...the low bobbin kept stopping the machine and I was not pleased with the appearance of the stitches...Recently I bought a baby lock Quilter's Choice Professional that goes backward and forward only, but has a wide harp and I can do FMQ perfectly with it...great sturdy basic machine...I am still looking for a lovely machine that is user friendly...maybe the Horizon,which is sold locally or back up to the dealer 100 miles away and turn in the Smarter for the expressions 4.0 again...which I admit is a really dumb idea....good luck on your search...Hattie

Hattie Shorts 07-16-2011 08:51 AM

I have an old Bernina 1230 which is a workhorse...I bought a Pfaff two years ago and had nothing but trouble...the dealer traded me it for a Smarter by Pfaff...it is okay but is back at the dealer...the low bobbin kept stopping the machine and I was not pleased with the appearance of the stitches...Recently I bought a baby lock Quilter's Choice Professional that goes backward and forward only, but has a wide harp and I can do FMQ perfectly with it...great sturdy basic machine...I am still looking for a lovely machine that is user friendly...maybe the Horizon,which is sold locally or back up to the dealer 100 miles away and turn in the Smarter for the expressions 4.0 again...which I admit is a really dumb idea....good luck on your search...Hattie

Quilterfay 07-16-2011 09:20 AM

Did you know that the Kenmore is made by Janome. I love their instruction manual.

I have 3 Janome's, a Kenmore my husband bought when he was quilting and a Pfaff grandquilter.

I love Janome's great machines.