Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Favorite sewing machine for quilters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/favorite-sewing-machine-quilters-t137771.html)

Old hen 07-16-2011 06:45 AM

Make a list of the things you want your new machine to do. Eliminate the machines that don't do what you want. Check out the remaining ones, ie written, verbal, visual checks, and decide on that basis. I'm tired of sewers thinking only certain names of machines determine whether or not you're going to be able to do a good job. I have a friend who has a cheap Walmart/Target type machine and does a beautiful job with her piecing, and also friends who have Bernina/Pfaff/high end machines who no-where near compare. It's all in having what you want, and also the ability to pay for your choices. Not all sewers have endless resources to buy the thousand dollar machines! I love my Pfaffs, Singers, Kenmore, Brothers, and Janomes and didn't buy any of them NEW. I make beautiful, high end quality quilts, and don't stress over anything but that! A friend and I bought a LA together, so there's always that option, too.

bobquilt3 07-16-2011 06:46 AM

I am a quilter and I was up to 5 sewing machines. Janome 300e(to make labels), Viking (used for piecing),old Bernina (for the rest) and 2 White sergers. Kept the Janome & 1 serger, traded in the other 3 and got a Bernina 820. Of course, we always love the last machine we bought (hopefully) but I do feel the 820 gives me the best and most accurate 1/4" seam, it cuts the thread, will raise the presser-foot enough to pivot, has the knee lift AND it threads the needle automatically. . . . and a lot of other stuff. Yes, it cost more that my first car but I really think it was worth it.

Derla 07-16-2011 06:51 AM

I bought my Janome 350E from a dealer about an hour away, but since have found a dealer in the city where I live who will service my machine, and even do one on one teaching for any software I'm having a hard time learning. I can't imagine any dealer refusing to service a machine or helping learn the software --it all only brings in more business.

As for a machine to do quilting -- I rent time on a computerized long arm and love doing my own quilts that way.

Rosie the "Ripper" 07-16-2011 06:55 AM

Judylg - I have a Quilters Choice Baby Loc too and I am taking lessons on how to use it. I've only had it for a couple of months, but I think I am going to LOOOOVE it!! So far, I am impressed.

ShirlinAZ 07-16-2011 06:57 AM

I love Pfaff machines. My primary machine is a Pfaff Quilt Expression 2.0. I call her my QE2. She's as big as an ocean liner and works just as hard. The Expression 3.0 and 4.0 have more stitches, auto thread cutter, start/stop button, etc. - all features I didn't think I needed and still don't miss. The large harp will handle large quilts and the darning foot is wonderfully smooth for FMQ. Priced around $1500. I got mine on sale for $1100 two years ago. I'm very happy with the investment. I also have a Brother SQ-9000 which works well for piecing and sewing GD's clothes, but it doesn't come anywhere close to the Pfaff for FMQ.

JudieRQuilting 07-16-2011 07:03 AM

I have a Viking 500, which is great, but my favorite for quilting is Sewfie, my featherweight. She is awesome for accuracy and straight stitching.

grammysharon 07-16-2011 07:09 AM

I am with you. I bought the 830 thinking it would be a wonderful FMQ machine. It is not!! I am doing all my FMQ on my old Bernina 1530.

Originally Posted by bvillequilter
Hi All,
I really enjoy hearing from other quilters about their favorite make and model sewing machine for quiltmaking. I just sold my Bernina 820 machine. Although it is a fabulous machine for general sewing, including heirloom, garment, etc. I personally felt it was not the perfect choice for quilters. It does have a hugh harp which would entice you to think it answers all of us quilters' demands, but even the BSR works better on the 430/440, 630/640, 200/730 machines. I am currently using my Berina 230 machine which I absolutely love, but I don't feel it is suited to be a primary machine.

In addition to Bernina owners, I would love to hear from Janome, Pffaff and Viking owners.

In stitches,
Roberta in CNY

:cry: :cry:

Owllady 07-16-2011 07:25 AM

Maia B, are you talking about janome or bernina machines in the above comments? I need a brand along with the numbers to keep up with what machine is the best. Sorry, I am just old.

caspharm 07-16-2011 07:29 AM

I have a Singer 221 FW (1954[?]) that I use for piecing and classes, plus a Pfaff 2056 for fancy stitches. I rented a LA before for quilting large projects and am now waiting for my own LA.

GGinMcKinney 07-16-2011 07:33 AM

Janome 6600P has built in walking foot. Has some decorator stitches and alphabets for a bit of embroidery work. Love this machine with all my heart!!! It makes me look good!