Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Favorite sewing machine for quilters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/favorite-sewing-machine-quilters-t137771.html)

mmlctnp 07-16-2011 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
Be sure to read about the Singer, Pfaff, Viking merger/buy out while you're considering a purchase. Google SVP buy out.

I have the new Bernina 830 and think it's a perfect quilting machine. But, I also have a Janome 9000 which I love and several other vintage machines. There's a new Janome machine being released, so stay tuned... Have you checked out the Janome Horizon?

http://sewingforlife.wordpress.com/2...-of-companies/

luana 07-16-2011 05:44 AM

I love my Janome Horizon. One of my favorite features if the AcuFeed, built in walking foot. I use it for all my piecing, it's great for sewing borders and strips. It's also the very best for stitch in the ditch.

Wonnie 07-16-2011 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by mjsylvstr
THIS WAS MY REPLY TO THE ABOVE POST...GOT LOST WITHIN THE OTHER POST!

I can see while the machine is under warranty, but after that, I think I would find a reliable machine shop to go to have your machine serviced. I can't believe that a dealer cannot be allowed to service one's machine if the customer wants him to do so.

What happens if one moves to a new location...must they now buy a new machine?????

He, he.....since I'm not planning on moving soon I don't know.

All I know is what I was told when I tried to go to another dealer. At present my machine is no longer in warranty and it works just fine. When I called the company when I found out a better manual was available, ( an office somewhere "out there"!), to try to purchase the book I was told I had to go through my dealer but if she didn't want to order the book she didn't have to (!!!), that it was strictly her call what she wanted to sell or not and it was her call as well as to pricing. Also, I was suppose to get an hour free lesson.....I got 15 minutes....Don't have a problem with my machine, however, love the self threader and bobbin winder and cutter and, even though it is not an "embroidry-er", if has a gozillion fancy stitches but I think you need to order from a company that is friendly and accessible.

Mariposa 07-16-2011 06:03 AM

I do my piecing, and quilting small items using my Pfaff 7510. It's great! But I quilt bigger items on my LA. :)

Dee G 07-16-2011 06:04 AM

I have 3 Janomes and love them - 1600P QC for piecing & FMQ, 7500 my little workhorse and 11000 for Embroidery.

jitkaau 07-16-2011 06:04 AM

I have a Pfaff.It's not as good as my Brother Nouvelle 1500S straight stitcher when it comes to quilting. The Brother has a 9" throat and flat bed with 2 extension tables,knee lift and ability to take large cones of thread.The single hole needle plate makes a very nice stitch quality.

Baloonatic 07-16-2011 06:06 AM

I piece on my Janome and use a longarm for quilting. For piecing anything heavy-duty like denim raggies I use a commercial Pfaff. It'll go thru anything!

Iamquilter 07-16-2011 06:25 AM

I have a Bernina 1130 and do all my sewing on it , the only time I do quilting on it is for table runners and the quilts I do all by hand.

deedum 07-16-2011 06:34 AM

I have a true addiction to the old Singers, the 15 is my favorite and I like the 301. I can fm on them like nobody's buisness! The old singers are such tanks, the maintence can be done at home and they are just your best friend for life! I do like the Janome's too! If I was going to buy another Janome, it would be the 6600.

irquilter 07-16-2011 06:39 AM

I currently have the Janome 6600 for home and the 3160 for classes and retreats. I would love to buy the new Horizon, but since my 6600 is working great I have a hard time justifying the purchase. I do love some of the features though, the 11" harp, auto single needle throat plate, and a fabulous buttonhole stitch :o) We'll see???