Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   favorite thimble (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/favorite-thimble-t14084.html)

roselady 12-03-2008 01:57 PM

With the recent topic of "favorite needle" it made me want to know everyones favorite thimble, especially for hand quilting. I've looked at them all, I think, and have yet to find the perfect one. I'm a little hesitant to spend $40.00 = $50.00 or more and then find out they are no better than the five dollar ones. I love hand quilting so I would really like to find a great thimble. So far the one I like the best is the flesh colored adjustable one that is open on the nail side. I started with the nimble thimble leather one with the metal in the tip. That one helped me get used to a thimble. I liked it until my needle found the small open spot....OUCH! So what do you all use?

sewjoyce 12-03-2008 02:02 PM

I use a cheapie metal thimble. The only problem with it is that the fit depends on how long or short my nail is -- LOL.

Izy 12-03-2008 02:04 PM

I use the ultra thimble which is a small round metal disc that uses a very long lasting sticky pad to stick to your finger wherever you prefer, no problem with long finger nails, no problem with sweating, no restrictions on finger movements, I LOVE it :D

bearpaw 12-03-2008 03:06 PM

I have a Roxanne thimble. I really like it. The dimples are deep and there are different sizes to fit to your finger.

Barb M 12-03-2008 03:14 PM

I've tried the metal thimbles, the regular ones, and what i don't like is i like to also hold the needle with my thimble finger too, and i cant do that or have as much control of the needle as i would like with that kind. I'm not using one that is like a metal ring, one side is a round metal disc, and the other side is just a ring, so it le4aves part of my finger open to feel the needle

Moonpi 12-03-2008 03:26 PM

I have two I use, a leather one with elastic on, and the other is a sterling silver antique.

MAXIES2 12-03-2008 03:37 PM

Roselady, I use the same one as you the flesh coloured adjustable one as I find it difficult to find traditional ones that fit properly.
Katherine

sandpat 12-03-2008 04:20 PM

After using several different kinds , spending lots of $ on thimbles and trying bunches of them...I've found that I hate thimbles and I just can't function well with one. I do use the same one as you..(the open one that your finger nail sticks out of) when I absolutely have to use a thimble. They just don't seem to fit me well and just like working with gloves on...I just can't!! :evil:

thimblebug6000 12-03-2008 07:06 PM

I have tried many thimbles, the one that works the best for me is the cheap metal thimble..... Go to your LQS and try out the different sizes. I have a couple that sit in my little holder..... some fit my finger when it's cold, some fit my finger when it's "normal" I've tried the leather thimbles & usually end up poking my finger through the leather before the quilt is finished. It's like all the rest of the quilting "rules" whatever works best for you IMHO

kanoelani 12-03-2008 07:06 PM

Ditto on the Roxanne thimble. I love it. For metal to metal quilting I use a Quilting Arts thimble.