Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Favorite tips (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/favorite-tips-t15694.html)

Rose Marie 01-23-2009 08:19 AM

I like using Fons and Porters glue stick to hold the binding to the back instead of pins.
Hasnt gummed up my machine at all.
I bought plastic baskets that you can see thru and have a handle at Dollartree. These are perfect to hold fat q.
They come in different colors so my greens go in green etc.

stitchinMamaw 01-23-2009 08:38 AM

Pretty kitty I read on one of the sewing machine repair sites that you never use canned air on your machine . It can blow lint and thread into the back of your machine , that can cause problems . lol

I use dryer sheets on my thread . Take a small piece fold in half , place thread and needle in fold , pull through several times , no knotting of your thread . Slides right through fabric !

Annie

Quiltinsolitude 01-23-2009 10:23 AM

Measure twice, cut once. This should be tattooed on both my hands.

candi 01-23-2009 10:25 AM

Thanks all for these tips.
I am trying to think if I have any, but nah, I have not been doing things long time to find my own way yet, I still copy! So mega thanks all!

quiltsRfun 01-23-2009 10:45 AM

I use dryer sheets on my thread . Take a small piece fold in half , place thread and needle in fold , pull through several times , no knotting of your thread . Slides right through fabric!
I'll have to try this one. I was just wrestling with the tangled thread problem the other night.

No hints from me but I'm learning lots from reading this thread.

zyxquilts 01-23-2009 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltinsolitude
Measure twice, cut once. This should be tattooed on both my hands.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ain't it the truth!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I'm sewing on triangles where I'm starting at a pointy corner, I use a small scrap of fabric for a "leader" - I sew across it & then a couple more stitches, leave the needle down, then line my triangles up & sew away. My machine eats way less corners when I do this. :D

Skeat 01-23-2009 03:27 PM

Rose Marie...I'd love to see a pic of those baskets!:))Even if it is just one if possible..thanks Skeat

littlehud 01-23-2009 06:32 PM

I bought a pair of rubber gloves (the kind you get to wear when you are doing dishes ) and use them as thimbles. I cut off one finger and slip it over my finger. It is thick enough the needle doesn't go through it but is flexible and will grip the needle. Also every pair of gloves I buy gives me 10 thimbles. What a buy.

JoanneS 01-24-2009 11:25 AM

Ripper tip - I glued the soft side of Velcro to my ripper, the stiff side to my machine. My ripper is always within easy reach.

mpeters1200 01-24-2009 11:36 AM

What a great idea! I tend to have 3 or 4 rippers out cause I'm always misplacing one while I work. Velcroed to the sewing machine.....great idea I'll have to try it.