Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Featherweight Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/featherweight-question-t38621.html)

quilter68 03-06-2010 10:52 AM

To all of the musty smell problems; has anyone tried fresh ground coffee or charcoal? The coffee is not made You just use the ground beans. This is sometimes used for drawers in antique furniture.

alaskasunshine 03-06-2010 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by ForestHobbit
We will be going down April 13 for our grandson's graduation. He is joining the Marine Corp. What part of San Jose did your hubby live in? I am a native San Josean as well as California. Have lived on So. 11 street, 14th and then 16th st, Bellerose (by Valley Fair) and off Meridian & Branham. Also lived in Santa Clara, Saratoga and Half Moon Bay. Went to Santa Clara High. This many moves is over 67 years, so it's not all that much.

goodness my husband asked me to marry him at mc donalds there on n. first street. :lol: :lol: :lol: do you know where that is :? that was 33 years ago. we grew up in fremont ca. i miss the beaches, warm sun, shopping at gunne sax outlet in san francisco, and carmel. i feel like we should be trading lower 48'ers to stay in each others home for a vacation.

good to see some californian's here :-D

hoppyfrog 03-06-2010 12:56 PM

I purchased a replacement oil pad a while back and it does make a big difference with the bad odor. I found it on E-Bay. Seller is jw5086 item #190374445728. It's $2.95 with $1.50 shipping.

Linda - K. 03-07-2010 10:39 AM

I have a FW that I bought for my BD about 5 years ago and just love it! I have gone to Dave McCallum's class on maintaining it yourself and it's a wonderful class. I recommend his book if you're not in an area where he teaches.

I followed his instructions with the light bulb in the case and it worked. To keep it fresh smelling I also put those packets you get in shoes, etc., (silicone?) in the box and it helps keep it moisture free (the cause of the problem). Also, grate deod bath soap and make small packets to put in box. That helps with any smell. I did the light bulb thing once and haven't had to do it again.

I also changed the felt oil drip pan thing and that helped too. I copied one off for a pattern and use the sheet of "stiff" felt from a craft store to make my own.

ForestHobbit 03-07-2010 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Linda - K.
I have a FW that I bought for my BD about 5 years ago and just love it! I have gone to Dave McCallum's class on maintaining it yourself and it's a wonderful class. I recommend his book if you're not in an area where he teaches.

I followed his instructions with the light bulb in the case and it worked. To keep it fresh smelling I also put those packets you get in shoes, etc., (silicone?) in the box and it helps keep it moisture free (the cause of the problem). Also, grate deod bath soap and make small packets to put in box. That helps with any smell. I did the light bulb thing once and haven't had to do it again.

I also changed the felt oil drip pan thing and that helped too. I copied one off for a pattern and use the sheet of "stiff" felt from a craft store to make my own.

Thank you Linda-K

shaverg 03-07-2010 02:04 PM

Usually the felt pad is the biggest culprit.

Originally Posted by hoppyfrog
I purchased a replacement oil pad a while back and it does make a big difference with the bad odor. I found it on E-Bay. Seller is jw5086 item #190374445728. It's $2.95 with $1.50 shipping.

ORSunshineQuilter 03-07-2010 03:41 PM

Thought - needle in correctly? Belt worn out? Those are the first things that come to mind.

hoppyfrog 03-07-2010 03:50 PM

The other thing I just thought of is the bobbin case. If it's not clicked in place properly the machine won't work.

ForestHobbit 03-07-2010 06:05 PM

Yay!!! Happy Dance!!! Today my little 1946 Featherweight became a member of our family. She will arrive in about 2 weeks. I am so happy I could PIMP. :-D :lol: :lol:

shequilts 03-07-2010 06:08 PM

Yeah! I'm happy for you and the new baby.